Options

What should I wear to my interview

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay so I have two interviews coming up at my university for IT related positions. One is for a network position at school (casual), and the other is for a big industrial distribution company not necessarily related to IT (business casual).

I was planning on wearing khakis and a button up shirt for the position at school. Should I dress the same way for the other position as well even though they are more business casual?

I know that IT companies usually have a business casual or casual dress code but this company is not an IT company (but includes an IT dept). Would it be safer to wear a suit(minus the jacket) to this interview?

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Suit. Doesn't matter how the office dress. You should show up for your interview in a suit.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »
    Suit. Doesn't matter how the office dress. You should show up for your interview in a suit.

Seconded.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    davidboy wrote: »
    Okay so I have two interviews coming up at my university for IT related positions. One is for a network position at school (casual), and the other is for a big industrial distribution company not necessarily related to IT (business casual).

I was planning on wearing khakis and a button up shirt for the position at school. Should I dress the same way for the other position as well even though they are more business casual?

I know that IT companies usually have a business casual or casual dress code but this company is not an IT company (but includes an IT dept). Would it be safer to wear a suit(minus the jacket) to this interview?

Suit. You can always dress down if it's relaxed. 1999 people turned up in shorts looking freaky. It was 'tolerated' but not liked. Not today. Since then. most of the freaky people have been disposed of.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When in doubt, wear a suit. I expect everyone I interview in a suit unless they were coming during their lunch break. Good luck on the interview.
  • Options
    A suit it is then. I'll just wear it without a jacket but with a tie.
  • Options
    A suit it is then. I'll just wear it without a jacket but with a tie.

A suit without a jacket isn't a suit.

Wear a shirt, tie and jacket and iron everything and polish your shoes. People look at shoes. In 1999 we had shorts, t-shirts, all kinds of stuff in peoples faces and, crazy beards, hair and body odour. It was tolerated at the time because the geeks ruled for 4 years. No longer. 99% of those people are out of this industry now.
  • Options
    Well my friend who works there (and will be there during the interview) told me that a full on suit is too formal. He's interviewed a good half dozen people along with the other guys and some guy got hired even though he wore a t-shirt to an interview.

I think what I wear will be enough (black shoes, trousers, dress shirt, tie), plus it's pretty warm down here. I think I'll consider wearing a jacket for the other interview though, since it's with a big company.
  • Options
    Well my friend who works there (and will be there during the interview) told me that a full on suit is too formal. He's interviewed a good half dozen people along with the other guys and some guy got hired even though he wore a t-shirt to an interview.

I think what I wear will be enough (black shoes, trousers, dress shirt, tie), plus it's pretty warm down here. I think I'll consider wearing a jacket for the other interview though, since it's with a big company.

Then do that then. Just be clean and smart.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help and words of encouragement guys!