Options

Just passed the ICND1!

BOOYAH! Just passed (literally 20 minutes ago) with a score of 887. I was hoping to hit the 900's but hey, a pass is a pass icon_cool.gif

Because it gets asked fairly often on how/what I used to prepare, here's the breakdown:

- 127.5 hours studied total; approx. 20 hours labbed

- I used CCENT ICND1 Official Cert Guide (2nd edition) by Odom, CBT Nugget videos, Packet Tracer v. 5.3.3, subnettingquestions.com and of course you all here at TechExams.

Just to put things in perspective, I went from zero to CCENT in a little less than 2 months as I started studying at the end of December-early January.

Thanks again for all the help everyone has offered to me over the last few weeks; now onto the ICND2!!!!! icon_cheers.gif
:study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    Hippo08Hippo08 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey ChickenNuggetz,

Congrats on passing your ICND1! If you don't mind I would like to ask a couple more questions about how you prepared for your exam.

Real quick, when you say 20 hours labbed, what do you mean? I think I am a bit confused on exactly what a lab is for the CCENT and how to do them.

Also, did you use any exam preparation book/software to give you test questions to see if your knowledge was up to speed with the CCENT?

Again, congrats on the ICND1!! I wish you luck on your ICND2 and thank you in advance for your help and support.

EDIT1: When I say "test questions" I do NOT mean questions directly from the test. I mean just questions that help you prepare for the knowledge and test format.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Hippo08 wrote: »
    Hey ChickenNuggetz,

Congrats on passing your ICND1! If you don't mind I would like to ask a couple more questions about how you prepared for your exam.

Real quick, when you say 20 hours labbed, what do you mean? I think I am a bit confused on exactly what a lab is for the CCENT and how to do them.

Also, did you use any exam preparation book/software to give you test questions to see if your knowledge was up to speed with the CCENT?

Again, congrats on the ICND1!! I wish you luck on your ICND2 and thank you in advance for your help and support.

EDIT1: When I say "test questions" I do NOT mean questions directly from the test. I mean just questions that help you prepare for the knowledge and test format.

By "lab," I meant hands-on with Cisco IOS (or at least as close as I could get to the real thing). I spent about 20 hours total building, configuring and troubleshooting networks that I created in Packet Tracer. You could do the same thing with real equipment, although that'd probably be a little more expensive.

I used ICND1 Official Cert Guide (from CiscoPress) by Wendell Odom (the 2nd Edition, there's a 3rd edition that is out now). The book also came with a DVD full of extra goodies (like practice questions and scenarios) as well as a Boson Sim Practice Test. I will say that Boson's practice test was waaaaay harder than the real thing, and was indispensable to preparing for the real thing.

Hope that helps and good luck to you!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

• Options
    Hippo08Hippo08 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for the quick reply! I also have those books and I am almost done reading the ICND1 book by Odom. I will look up Cisco Packet Tracer, it seems invaluable in learning this material, especially the IOS command line. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me and good luck on your further studies!
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Congrats ChickenNugz! Thank you for the insight on how you studied! My next class at WGU is my Cisco class, so I will be doing the same thing pretty soon here. Congrats again!
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    goalied00dgoalied00d Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    Great job, congrats!
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Thanks everyone for the congratulations! Tomorrow is a new day and a new study topic: VLANS and STP! CCNA here I come icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    KPLCKPLC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck with ICND2.
  • Options
    getitngogetitngo Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!!!!
    In Progress:
    Degree in Engineering
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great job and good luck on the CCNA
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Congrats on the pass. I take mine tomorrow, 21 Feb and not feeling good about it. I guess I will either pass or fail. Might just move into Linux.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrads!!!
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ChickenNuggetz... congrats on the pass!!!
  • Options
    cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice one well done