Options

Sh mac-address-table on switches in packet tracer only shows the trunk ports?

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Regarding the VTP lab sim, i typed sh mac-address-table on l2 switch. But it made an output only showing trunk ports whereas according to the question it has to show all ports. why not?

edit : do not get me wrong. this command can output neighbor's ports once learned but on that sim, it showed and output which consists of ports belong to neighbors without interacting the workstations, how could this be?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Till the host don't send any data on the network, the switch can't learn the mac addresses.
    Did you checked the static addresses in the running config? :)
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fsanyee wrote: »
    Till the host don't send any data on the network, the switch can't learn the mac addresses.
    Did you checked the static addresses in the running config? :)

Wait! i have already said that on my edit. However, the sim requires from me to answer the questions from the perspective of SW-Ac3. When i type sh mac-address-table, i only see trunk ports and their mac addresses on this switch. But, i need to
    catch the "learned" mac addresses by that switch. Since PCs are not assigned any IP addresses, i can not seem to
    examine the "learned" mac addresses.

sh vlan doesn't help. sh mac-address-table shows only that Switch's trunk ports connected to other switches and router. Would you tell me how you see fa 0/8 for the question 1?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    That mac address is associated with one of the switch's port. You can find the answer in the running config.