Options

Two Job Offers in North Carolina

One is HRG Worldwide which is a network engineer postion. Its a travel management companie so I do not know the economic outcome of thier company. If I take the job, I can go to school at Univeristy of North Carolina: C and work on my BA in Science.

The other is in Raleigh, NC as a Security Engineer at Cisco Systems, and they noted I had a DOD clearance. There are great IT schools in Raleigh as well. Only problem is my clearance is up for a five year review and unsure if the investigation will go through again.

Any thoughts? Moving expenses are going to hurt, and do not really want to keep working for contracts.
He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    why would the investigation not go through?
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    House is going to forclose. Bad credit. I expained as much as I could. Just have to wait and see. It was a good 5 year streak though.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd choose Raleigh. I loved the area when I was there. Not to mention working for Cisco seems more stable than a travel management company.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Cisco position seems like the obvious choice, but very risky taking a job that requires a security clearance with your current financial situations.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thats great to have 2 offers in this kind of economy.
    Is the Cisco job government related? I wouldnt have expected a need for DoD clearance. Cisco isnt the same growth company as in the past. And with some of their new focus and shedding non-core businesses, its really hard to say if its a safer job than any other company.

Whats neat about HRG, may be what you get to do. I've never worked for a manufacturer before. I've always preferred working for service companies. I find service companies to be more interesting.

Personally, I would choose an established service company like HRG which appears to have recurring revenue over a manufacturer like Cisco.

Good luck. And congrats on having 2 offers to choose from...

hic
  • Options
    I'd choose Raleigh. I loved the area when I was there. Not to mention working for Cisco seems more stable than a travel management company.

True. Never thought about it that way.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Thats great to have 2 offers in this kind of economy.
    Is the Cisco job government related? I wouldnt have expected a need for DoD clearance. Cisco isnt the same growth company as in the past. And with some of their new focus and shedding non-core businesses, its really hard to say if its a safer job than any other company.

Whats neat about HRG, may be what you get to do. I've never worked for a manufacturer before. I've always preferred working for service companies. I find service companies to be more interesting.

Good luck. And congrats on having 2 offers to choose from...

hic

I did not get much details about the job for Cisco. The staffing company found my resume and liked my background. I think they found my resume on clearancejobs.com. I would assume they would support the DOD or something of that nature. I doubt Cisco has any classified information to hide from America.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    I did not get much details about the job for Cisco.

Ouch. I can see why it for would hard to make a decision. It sounded that a relo package wasn't being offered to you either.

I know everyone's circumstance is a bit different but moving for a job can be hard. I'm done that including the crazy commute leading up to it. I was just asked a few weeks ago to consider another move and I had to politely decline. It's hard on the family to be away for long stretches and then to move. Even with a generous relo package, it was still a financial burden.

For me -to it would need to be a great opportunity.

Btw -- don't forget that to factor in the total compensation like benefits, retirement plan, health insurance, etc.

Best of luck in your decision.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    I did not get much details about the job for Cisco. The staffing company found my resume and liked my background. I think they found my resume on clearancejobs.com. I would assume they would support the DOD or something of that nature. I doubt Cisco has any classified information to hide from America.

Yes, they have embedded engineers that work on classified systems supporting the Department of Defense which is the reason they have the security clearance.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you can get it, the obvious choice here is the spot with Cisco Systems in Raleigh. You'll make your money back on relocation costs pretty quickly with that kind of gig. Not to mention being someone like myself who has also worked in the Raleigh area, it's a hotbed for IT jobs (thanks to RTP) so even if it doesn't work out at Cisco in the long run, you'll basically have your choice of jobs after that.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come