Options

Degree/Education Advice needed

Hello All

I have a BS in Comp Info Systems and have 10+ years experience of Support, plus the certs listed on my profile.

I just started a AA In Comp Networking from a local Junior College, specializing in Microsoft, Cisco, and Security technologies. These classes also prep me for more certs (like CCNA, 70 642, etc.). This seemed to be the best "bang for my buck" in terms of education and broadening my knowledge, and I feel like I am a IT Generalist and need a speciality or two (as I am sick of support).

I took a look at the Master List of Online Degrees posted here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html

I am interested in the Auburn program for a dual MBA and MSIS degree. I am hoping to land a fellowship in health informatics. I feel this is a growing field, which requires a MS in a related IT field. Perhaps the MBA is overkill? or would help with future job prospects?

Should I just stick with the Junior College program?

Costs should be considered as well, as I will have to take out loans for Auburn, but it may be worth it?

As always thanks for your responses in advance.
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am so confused.

Why would you go for an AA when you already have a BS (in a related Computer Science field no less)? For certs? The best "bang for the buck" would be to self-study for the certs on your own. If I were a hiring manager, I would not be impressed that you obtained an associates when you already had a BS in CIS. It's considered regression, as opposed to progression.

In your situation, an MBA might not fit so well for you, based on your background. If you're gonna shoot for a Masters, I'd go for either IS, MIS or something in Networks Administration or something. However, since you have 10+ years of support, sounds like you're looking do a bit more than troubleshooting tickets/calls. I would start looking for a network admin position (even if it's a junior position) so that you get more bang for your buck out of your intended Master's program. But I would not go for an MBA if I were in your shoes.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A dual Masters is never going to hurt, but it would make sense for you to focus on your certifications unless you want to shift away from technology and into management. The program you're currently in isn't something I'd do, but if you learn better from hands-on training like that than self-study, it makes sense for you.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello All

I have a BS in Comp Info Systems and have 10+ years experience of Support, plus the certs listed on my profile.

I just started a AA In Comp Networking from a local Junior College, specializing in Microsoft, Cisco, and Security technologies. These classes also prep me for more certs (like CCNA, 70 642, etc.). This seemed to be the best "bang for my buck" in terms of education and broadening my knowledge, and I feel like I am a IT Generalist and need a speciality or two (as I am sick of support).

I took a look at the Master List of Online Degrees posted here:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html

I am interested in the Auburn program for a dual MBA and MSIS degree. I am hoping to land a fellowship in health informatics. I feel this is a growing field, which requires a MS in a related IT field. Perhaps the MBA is overkill? or would help with future job prospects?

Should I just stick with the Junior College program?

Costs should be considered as well, as I will have to take out loans for Auburn, but it may be worth it?

As always thanks for your responses in advance.

Instead of looking for certification or education to get you into the work you want to do, with all the expense that entails, have you not just gone to the industry to get access to work you want to do? Many people who have moved out have support dont even have a degree. Education is great, but it costs money and takes time to obtain, and everyone is doing it.

Billy Joel wrote the song Allentown. 'The graduations hang on the wall. But they never really helped us at all'. It's your money.
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would first think about where you want to be in the next 5, 10 and 15 years.

I have a MS in Business and a BS in IT. The jobs which have come my way only cared about my IT degree and pretty much ignored my Masters. I got the Masters for down the road. 10 - 15 years I'd like to be in management role and I hope it will help me. With that being said I knew my ROI on getting my masters would be several years from now.

I would say the MBA is overkill unless its only a few more credits over MSIS.

I find it ironic how your other post is asking how to get loan forgivness and in this post you mention getting more loans. Are you ready to take on the financial responsibility of a dual masters?
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A masters degree in almost any IT related function has some of the lowest ROI rates ever seen. You'd be better off to get a masters in another function that rounds off your skill set and no it doesn't have to be some watered down business degree.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well.. having an MBA in MIS so I had to weigh in on this one. A masters is more of a long term goal, one that will pay off in 5-10-15 years. I hate to break it to the 20 something crowd, but there will be a time in the not too distant future where employers will not be as interested in your abilities. Look at google, most of their programmers are 20 somethings working long hours. You need a backup plan. Getting an advanced degree helps with this as you may be able to parlay it into a managerial or consulant role. You might just get "sick" of re-certing every few years ... a degree does not have this problem.