Options

The myth of the 8 hour sleep

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
BBC News - The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Some interesting parts of the article.

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some interesting points, but get some good sleep. Once your careeer escalates to a point where you have to make decisions which others need you to make, but wont make, you want some good REM sleep. Eat well too and dont overwork.

Rest is training. Work well, eat well, rest well.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find good sleep very important too.

Sometimes it's not the count of hours but the quality of sleep that refreshes me. Everybody has to figure out what works best for them: When to sleep, where to sleep and for how long.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've found that sleep is very important. My son is 19 months old and just now started to fully sleep through the night. I get a full 7-8 hours at least 3-4 times a week now and have found myself much more organized/energized that if I get 3-4 quality hours of sleep.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I can make it throughout the week on 4-6 hours. But it often takes it toll on me come the weekend. You can run, but you can't hide!
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it all depends on the person. I know some that do great with only 5 hrs, I personally need 8.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I sleep about 5-6, too much sleep 7-8+ makes me feel VERY sick!
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I can make it throughout the week on 4-6 hours. But it often takes it toll on me come the weekend. You can run, but you can't hide!

Crashing on the weekends is not considered a normal part of a sleep cycle, haha! If only I could build up sleep hours. I'd take a few days off, sleep the entire time, then go to work and draw them when needed.
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I need about 5~6 hours of sleep at night plus one nap after work. If it was possible, one nap after lunch would be the best time...there is a coach at my work that tempts me everyday. ~~~~But I'll leave it alone. I always need a short hour nap after work. Doesn't matter if I get 7~9 hours of sleep, still need that nap if I want to be study productively after work.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I average about 5-6 hours of sleep a night. Some days my brain feels like mush. When I was laid off and unemployed for a few months the one glorious part was sleeping 10-12 hours a day/night and feeling so energetic. I think we need an extra couple of hours added to the day as well as an extra day added to the weekend.