Home made rollover cable?

KPLCKPLC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey TE,

I was just wondering if it's possible to connect to Cisco equipment with a plain jane homemade rollover cable through the Ethernet port on my laptop? And, if possible, what settings would I need to use(besides 9600,8,n,1) on my terminal emulator? I've Googled the crap out of this and haven't found a definitive answer.

Example:

Console port <
rollover cable
>Ethernet port on laptop

Console cables are expensive and hard to come by, where I'm at.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    KPLC wrote: »
    Hey TE,

I was just wondering if it's possible to connect to Cisco equipment with a plain jane homemade rollover cable through the Ethernet port on my laptop? And, if possible, what settings would I need to use(besides 9600,8,n,1) on my terminal emulator? I've Googled the crap out of this and haven't found a definitive answer.

Example:

Console port <
    rollover cable
    >Ethernet port on laptop

Console cables are expensive and hard to come by, where I'm at.

Thanks in advance!

the 5-in-1 network admin's cable

I used this guide. Actually works like a charm in a pinch.

I had a spare joiner from LOWES, and I chopped 2 cables that were otherwise gone and remade them into my own small cables. I made a Console as well as Cross-over. Works really well in an environment with tons of straight-throughs. Black cable for Console and a light-blue for Crossover. I keep them joined up so I don't loose the ends, and I keep it on my desk as a reminder.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Of course you can make one, as long as you connect the wires up correctly.

You can get them new on eBay for about $2.50 each though. (and free shipping)
  • KPLCKPLC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    the 5-in-1 network admin's cable

I used this guide. Actually works like a charm in a pinch.

I had a spare joiner from LOWES, and I chopped 2 cables that were otherwise gone and remade them into my own small cables. I made a Console as well as Cross-over. Works really well in an environment with tons of straight-throughs. Black cable for Console and a light-blue for Crossover. I keep them joined up so I don't loose the ends, and I keep it on my desk as a reminder.

That's an awesome resource! Thanks! So then, how do I use this cable with a terminal emulator? I've clicked around on TeraTerm and Putty but I don't see anything thing in their settings that would allow me to connect from my laptop Ethernet port to a Console port. Am I over thinking this?
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Of course you can make one, as long as you connect the wires up correctly.

You can get them new on eBay for about $2.50 each though. (and free shipping)

Yeah, ebay is great. But I don't see too many people willing to ship to Laos. Plus, I don't trust the local post office/workers.
    All the guides that you provided plus others that I have read, all say they use an adapter for the console cable to plug into a usb port on a laptop if your laptop doesn't have a serial port. I haven't read anything that says you can connect from your ethernet port on a laptop to the console port on a cisco router/switch. Hrm....
  • georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    NO. You cannot connect your ethernet port on you lapto to a console (serial) port on your Cisco equipment. Ethernet ports connect to other Ethernet ports using either a straight-through or crossover cable (depends upon the type of equipment you're connecting.) If you follow the instuction in the 5-in-1 admin guide it'll work just fine as long as you connect the cable to a COM/Serial port and not an Ethernet port. If you do not have a com port on your laptop (very likely if it is a newer laptop) then you'll need a USB to serial converter.

George
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
    georgemc wrote: »
    NO. You cannot connect your ethernet port on you lapto to a console (serial) port on your Cisco equipment. Ethernet ports connect to other Ethernet ports using either a straight-through or crossover cable (depends upon the type of equipment you're connecting.) If you follow the instuction in the 5-in-1 admin guide it'll work just fine as long as you connect the cable to a COM/Serial port and not an Ethernet port. If you do not have a com port on your laptop (very likely if it is a newer laptop) then you'll need a USB to serial converter.

George

Thanks for the definitive answer George. I wonder why Cisco still makes their console ports with the DB9 connector instead of a USB compatible style? They must sell them like hot cakes I guess. LOL
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    KPLC wrote: »
    Thanks for the definitive answer George. I wonder why Cisco still makes their console ports with the DB9 connector instead of a USB compatible style? They must sell them like hot cakes I guess. LOL

My guess would be because serial config is driverless, so you can config it through any computer with a terminal. That would be the only benefit I could really think of to keep it around. But I believe the 2900s can be configured through USB if I'm not mistaken.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Can even get console cables to use with ipad and iphone
    Redpark - Console Cable - C2-RJ45
    Get Console - iPhone iPad Serial Cables and Terminal Apps

and normal serial cables Redpark - Serial Cable - C2-DB9

They all work quite well. Much easier on ipad for typing than iphone.

Don't know if there is one for android devices.

Now all I'd like is a vhdl "compiler" and programmer cable for ipad
    or just the programmer (do the synthesis on the work compute cluster)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Alot of the new routers do have a USB Console port and cable. I have used them.

This is not an endorsement of this website, just the first place I could find a picture.
    Cisco Blue USB A to Mini-B Console Cable, 6', CAB-CONSOLE-USB
    Thanks for the all the replies!