Options

How many email do you receive per day

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just joined a new company, which is quite a large corporate. I am working for the infrastructure team here as sys admin. As a result we are copied into every single IT related conversation including automated messages from certain services (monitoring / av and the sorts) ...

I just checked, I was not in yesterday and received 954 mails from midnight <> midnight

Granted - most of them are SHIFT-DEL but how easy is it to miss "proper" emails ey (rules ftw.)

Edit: Missed to count a folder which sends vmware related status messages ... those are 635 mails alone, so mate that 1589 :o
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never was a big fan of the auto-sort rules until I came to my current job... Technically, Im still not as I only use them at work. Id rather manually sort things so I know things are missed/overlooked but if I did that my phone would never stop buzzing...

During the week, Ill routinely receive 2000+ emails a day. Only about 25% of which I actually review in anyway shape or form even if its just a cursory glance. The remaining 75% are emails to NOC, SOC, Hostmaster, Abuse, etc. for which Ive set up rules to **** them into specific folders.

I work for a large managed service provider so the vast majority of those emails are legitimate emails from ARIN, RIPE or people complaining about brute-force or other attempts initiated from IPs owned by my company so most of them dont need to be personally reviewed by me. Thankfully!

On a bad day (a day we have an outage or other type of event), Ive received enough email to be the equivalent of receiving an email every 20 seconds over a 24 hour period... Thank you outlook for your auto-sort rules!

Even with the rules in place, my phone has gone from having 0 emails to having 30-40 emails in a matter of minutes but again, thankfully Ive tuned my rules down fairly well so that doesnt happen much anymore.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I receive about 20-50 a day :)
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow..I thought my 75-100 was bad....
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    E-mails from actual people, not that many.

Automated alerts and what not, thousands. Yay rules.