Turned down a 25% payrise

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just to show its not always about the money :)

was offered a new job in a new company but some thing about it did not feel right. Decided that would let it go by.

Money would have been nice but some its not the most important thing.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I did this earlier in the year. The pay was north of $100K and I declined.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow crazy

Nothing is permament and getting yourself in that pay scale is huge for leveraging for larger salaries later on.

Either way you made the right decision for you.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    N2IT wrote: »
    Wow crazy

Nothing is permament and getting yourself in that pay scale is huge for leveraging for larger salaries later on.

Either way you made the right decision for you.

Something about it wasn't quite right and the commute was like 1.2 hours one way.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Something about it wasn't quite right and the commute was like 1.2 hours one way.

Exactly why I didn't come out and say something completely naive or foolish. High level it looks like a crazy IT techy move, but in reality it's all about cost and revenue. Time is money and you would be spending a lot of that in transit.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A good example of this is going from a a JOAT job to a position of mere desktop support...all for a 8k-9k bump in salary (plus overtime.)

That was truly a bad move on my part. I got lucky that I was able to get into admin work after that, but I doubt I could pull that kind of trick today.

It really isn't all about the money. The money comes with patience and time.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DevilWAH wrote: »

was offered a new job in a new company but some thing about it did not feel right. Decided that would let it go by.

Better to trust your gut than to get into something that you wished you hadn't.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    erpadmin wrote: »
    A good example of this is going from a a JOAT job to a position of mere desktop support...all for a 8k-9k bump in salary (plus overtime.)

That was truly a bad move on my part. I got lucky that I was able to get into admin work after that, but I doubt I could pull that kind of trick today.

I am actually debating whether or not to make a move like this. I'd be interested in reading why you call it a "bad move". See my thread "My turn to post my resume...".

OP, there will always be more jobs! If it didn't feel right, you made the smart decision.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

What didn't feel right? Just curious.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • EZ21EZ21 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Better to trust your gut than to get into something that you wished you hadn't.

+1, I learned that the hard way
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

You have to weigh it all up. Good choice if it isn't worth it.
    ptilsen wrote: »
    A backwards move in job responsibilities for an upwards move in salary is almost never wise. I'm sure I could get another $5K or $10K to move back into SMB sysadmin or something of similar responsibilities, but it would be much less fun and pretty underwhelming on a resume compared to designing systems and managing the service team for an MSP.

It might depend where you are at personally though. Most people want a wage and the better it is, that's fine. A lot of people top out on ambition and all that. They want a good paying job to provide for their family. If it pays well and has less hassle, these people will take it.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tackle wrote: »
    I am actually debating whether or not to make a move like this. I'd be interested in reading why you call it a "bad move". See my thread "My turn to post my resume...".

OP, there will always be more jobs! If it didn't feel right, you made the smart decision.
    A backwards move in job responsibilities for an upwards move in salary is almost never wise. I'm sure I could get another $5K or $10K to move back into SMB sysadmin or something of similar responsibilities, but it would be much less fun and pretty underwhelming on a resume compared to designing systems and managing the service team for an MSP.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    erpadmin wrote: »

So true!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See, two months later, and offered another position, This time for the perfect job, in a company that I will be proud to work for and be managing the network development during a £500million+ redevelopment program of the company over the next 3 to 4 years.

Not quite the same money as last one, but still a decent increases and can't wait to get started. the best things do come to those who wait.

What's also nice to know is that out of the 4 jobs I have applied for in the last 18 months I have received good offers on them all, so nice to be in the position to be able to pick and chose what to do :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hear you .. I moved from Gibraltar to England with a 50% paycut ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    So the only response to that is "What you want to move over here for!!!" ;) (what part of England you come to?)
    I moved to Southend / Rochford - I wouldn't say its the worst part I know - but it is close. I started working for a good friend of mine I know for 10+ years - as a result the environment was more important than money. Over time I cought up with my salary obviously (ish) .. Now I am working in London but live in Cambridgeshire, half an hour north of Cambridge ... Originally I am from Germany though *puts towel on thread*
    aww Cambridgeshire is nice, welcome to our shores, hope we have been treating you well :)
    It is, especially Ely :)

Only if you don't include National Rail in "we" ... paying £430 / month for commute (which technically is £6k before tax per year) and not being on time ONCE since I started ....
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh Ely station - i have passed through there many, many times.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you care to elaborate on some of the aspects that kept you from taking the job?

I passed on a job about a year ago that is $15k more than I make right now, and will likely be $10k more than I will make after my raise that should be coming by my next paycheck.

For me, it came down to several issues:
    1) Retirement contribution: I currently get 10% from my company w/o contributing anything myself; other job contributed 3% after matching.
    2) Vacation time: They offered 5 more days than normal, but it would still be two days less. I actually rarely use vacation time as I have flex time... vacation time is more like an emergency fund for me in the event that I quit or my contract goes away.
    3) Contract length: New job was only going to be "guaranteed" for six months with an opportunity to go longer if they liked us... my current contract is good for 2.5 more years.
    4) Training options: My company gives me $5k/year for tuition reimbursement standard and I am getting an extra $5k/year for my program. Plus, they offer all sorts of in-house training that my boss looks at as "free" and they reimburse for tons of stuff. New company only offered $5k/year.

I figured that they would have to offer me $10k more to make the two jobs a wash. The other benefits that were great about the new job would have been the commute (about 20 minutes shorter) and I would have been the technical lead on the contract... now I am maybe number 2 or 3 on a 60 person contract.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    aww Cambridgeshire is nice, welcome to our shores, hope we have been treating you well :)

I worked in Peterborough a few weeks for a previous company (they had an office there, I worked for the company for three years). I had loads of fun exploring the area. I really would like to go back.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad it worked out in the end. Sometimes it just takes some patience.
    powerfool wrote: »
    Do you care to elaborate on some of the aspects that kept you from taking the job?

I passed on a job about a year ago that is $15k more than I make right now, and will likely be $10k more than I will make after my raise that should be coming by my next paycheck.

For me, it came down to several issues:
    1) Retirement contribution: I currently get 10% from my company w/o contributing anything myself; other job contributed 3% after matching.
    2) Vacation time: They offered 5 more days than normal, but it would still be two days less. I actually rarely use vacation time as I have flex time... vacation time is more like an emergency fund for me in the event that I quit or my contract goes away.
    3) Contract length: New job was only going to be "guaranteed" for six months with an opportunity to go longer if they liked us... my current contract is good for 2.5 more years.
    4) Training options: My company gives me $5k/year for tuition reimbursement standard and I am getting an extra $5k/year for my program. Plus, they offer all sorts of in-house training that my boss looks at as "free" and they reimburse for tons of stuff. New company only offered $5k/year.

I figured that they would have to offer me $10k more to make the two jobs a wash. The other benefits that were great about the new job would have been the commute (about 20 minutes shorter) and I would have been the technical lead on the contract... now I am maybe number 2 or 3 on a 60 person contract.

None of the above. benefits where almost same as I get, only difference was that where there is a potential up to 10% bonus here, the new job did not have a bonus scheme, however the incress in pay would have sorted that out. In fact on the most part the benifits where slightly better.

Simple came down to the fact I wasn't to keen working in a company that dealt with credit card payments, not thing wrong with it but does not set my heart on fire with enthusam. but mainly I just didn't gel when it go to the part of the interview with the managing director, and she her self didn't seem very enthuastic about the company.

On the other hand the job I have been offered now, is to manage the network of a world leading scientific research company. As you can see i have a degree in science so its subject that interests me, and the company involves I have worked at before for a short person as a scientist and have a lot of respect for the work they carry out.

So it completely a case of job satisfaction, I never look at the pay/benefits of a position before I have decided if I want the job on a personal level. For the last 4-5 years moving jobs has always been about finding new challenges and insuring I am in a role where I can apply my skills, rather than increasing wage and benefits.
    Well good on you.

I am glad it worked out.