Options

1U server

cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I too know about working full-time and getting an BSIT degree while getting I.T. certification's in between which includes studying. My personal and family life was none existence but, in the end I've accomplished a lot over the time plus it feels great. However, I'm back studying for more Cisco and I will reconnect my lab gear when I get a better rack vs. an desk etc... In the mean time I will use Packet Tracer but, I'll use GNS3 for more advance things though. Thus far; I have been on Ebay looking for some cheap racks while keeping my eye open for an 1U server for VMware stuff. Any suggestions since serverworld.com is too pricey for my blood right now?

Comments

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look out for Dell PowerEdge 1950 on Ebay. They are 1U and great for Virtualization. You can connect it to a NAS.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Look out for Dell PowerEdge 1950 on Ebay. They are 1U and great for Virtualization. You can connect it to a NAS.

Don't forget to include the cost of a quad nic card or two so you can get enough network ports if you are going to use gsn3 to connect to real switches etc Also for the 1950 see which riser(if any) is installed, options are pcie or pcix.

Will have to see if I can run gsn3 on the hpc cluster here at work.
    My favourite nodes have dual xenon x5690 with 96GB and dual tesla C2050 (when you can get access)
    Most of the nodes (3 small clusters of 10 to 12 nodes) are dual quad core 5590 or 5680 with 12 or 48GB.
    Good thing is can access from home via nx or ssh.
    Mostly use it for compiling large jobs or "compiling"(synthesis) vhdl projects.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    We use HP DL140's for print servers etc. they are 1u in size.