Options

Took BCMSN 2 years ago, how long do I have to pass CCNP?

TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
Hello,

2 years ago I passed the BCMSN (switch) exam and have not worked towards the CCNP any further. I plan to take ROUTE before the start of the summer holidays but wondered if I need to take TSHOOT before the end of the third year? Can anyone clarify on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I am pretty sure that you have 3 years from the date you pass the first exam to pass the other 2.

I don't know exactly how the BCMSN fits into that though. My info is from the SWITCH, ROUTE and TSHOOT.
  • Options
    Thanks, that was my understanding too. I'll probably study both at the same time and take route and then TSHOOT a week or 2 after. Would be good to finally be a CCNP.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    every exam is valid for 3 years and every exam you pass renews all the others for 3 years. so in your case you will need too take ROUTE or TSHOOT before the BCMSN exam gets 3 years old. this will extend your passed exams on the same level for another 3 years.

you can also use the CCNP calculator on the cisco website:

CCNP Exam Combination Tool - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The old track had 4 exams. BCMSN counts the same as if you passed SWITCH. BCSI counts the same as if you had passed ROUTE. The other 2 don't count at all. Like others have said, you have 3 years from your eligible pass from the old track to gain your CCNP.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    every exam is valid for 3 years and every exam you pass renews all the others for 3 years. so in your case you will need too take ROUTE or TSHOOT before the BCMSN exam gets 3 years old. this will extend your passed exams on the same level for another 3 years.

you can also use the CCNP calculator on the cisco website:

CCNP Exam Combination Tool - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

The exams themselves do not renew. Passing an exam will renew certifications (as in a CCNP or CCIP) but will not "renew" the pass date of an exam (as in BCMSN or SWITCH). Unless this is something that has changed fairly recently.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    The exams themselves do not renew. Passing an exam will renew certifications (as in a CCNP or CCIP) but will not "renew" the pass date of an exam (as in BCMSN or SWITCH). Unless this is something that has changed fairly recently.

oh you are right... i kinda got this wrong, since any cert i got till now was a single exam and so got recertified when taking the next one ...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, took me just over 2 years to finish the whole thing myself. Once you have the route and switch down, tshoot is easy. Sounds like you need to retake your switch exam though
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to retake your switch exam though

Why? It's not going to be a problem (could probably do it with next to no revision) but would be a waste of £100.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

I was given the impression that you'd have 3 years per test. Not three years total to complete the testing. Although, the latter makes more sense in a world that's always changing. I asked on cisco forums a while ago.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    An exam is valid for three years. Say for example you take ROUTE and then four years later take SWITCH and TSHOOT you would need to do ROUTE again. If you have a CCNP and then two years later take BGP it will renew the CCNP certification, but not the pass date on your ROUTE exam.

Make sense?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    An exam is valid for three years. Say for example you take ROUTE and then four years later take SWITCH and TSHOOT you would need to do ROUTE again. If you have a CCNP and then two years later take BGP it will renew the CCNP certification, but not the pass date on your ROUTE exam.

Make sense?

Just looking for clarification then:

1. I pass my ROUTE.
    2. It takes me 2 and 11 months, and finally pass my SWITCH exam.
    3. It takes me another 2 years and 11 months, to pass the TSHOOT exam

ROUTE at which point expired. I would need to retake my ROUTE within the month to earn my CCNP.

Any other Professional-level (and below) Certifications would be refreshed with each Exam pass.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    You got it. Certifications are renewed, not exams.
  • Options
    Cheers for the replies everyone. :)

There's no point delaying TSHOOT anyway so will get it done ASAP. Watch this space. :)