Options

Study method

epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am just wondering whats your guys and gals study session is like. do you read for an 1 hour then lab for 20 min and do flash cards or do you read one day lab the other etc I am trying to get some tips for my self.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    epicdean wrote: »
    I am just wondering whats your guys and gals study session is like. do you read for an 1 hour then lab for 20 min and do flash cards or do you read one day lab the other etc I am trying to get some tips for my self.

I attack studying for cisco pretty.. wierd. actually.

First time I've actually looked up the most efficient way to study on google.

Repitition.
    Read the book once. Just get through it. Try to understand the topics, so as to dispell any feelings that it's too much. Go back around for a second course to really dig into the topics.

I've heard of people labbing before the chapter they read, labbing afterwards.

It's all different. Just attack it more than just reading, or watching videos, or labbing. I do a combination of all three. It's a lot of time. But nothing compared to IE-levels. Look at Turgon. Man of Men.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    epicdean wrote: »

This is a tough question to answer. Everyone has different learning styles; what works for one person, may not work for another. I will say this though: Repetition and practice really do make perfect. Once you understand concepts, you need to practice them, and practice them, and practice them, and then practice them some more. Oh? Did I mention you need to practice? I think you get the point icon_lol.gif. To give you some ideas for study tips, I'll share with you my method and you can decide on what might work best for you!

1) I create a "study plan" and map out which chapters I do each week, and break down from there which topics I cover the days I study (just like syllabus). Obviously, the study plan will probably change as you work through the material as you'll encounter both topics that are difficult (requires more time) and topics that are easy and you breeze through.

2) I do no more than two chapters a week. This gives me time to read, take notes, watch any corresponding videos, make and study flash cards, and lab (if applicable)

3) I start each new chapter (or topic) with the corresponding CBT nuggets video. The videos arent detailed, but they do give me an overview of what the topic covers and makes it more interesting when I finally sit down to read.

4) I read the chapter in the book. As I'm reading I highlight key topics or things I want to remember or write down then I always do the review questions at the end of the chapter

5) I write down (not type) notes. I usually go back through the chapter writing the stuff I highlighted. When I write those things down, I never copy verbatim, I always rephrase the notes in my own words (basically, if you can re-explain the topic in your notes, using your own words, it means you understand the material).

6) Using the notes I just made, I make flash cards of the things I need to know from that chapter. Again, I write them not type them.

7) I build a lab (in Packet Tracer) to test out and practice the concepts/commands from that chapter.

This might be more than what you are willing to do. I go kind of hardcore with studying and really like to immerse myself in the material. My method usually has me studying between 2-4 hours a night and another 8-12 on weekends. And yes, I work a full-time job (45+ hours) and still have time to do all this, although I dont have children. I imagine having a family would greatly reduce the above numbers. I really like my method above and it worked well studying for the CCENT. It builds in repitition and mixes several learning styles together to help keep things "fresh."

Also, if you're interested, I gave myself a week at the end of the book to do massive review and practice exams. This helped to identify my "problem" areas and I was able to address them with relative ease. Hope that helps!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    Hippo08Hippo08 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would like to +1 what ChickenNuggetz said. I have about the same study habits as him and I as well like to immerse myself. I work around 50 hours a week and study around 2-4 hours a night and have a study marathon on weekends. My fiance is going into pharmacy school, so we study well together! Granted, I do not have a Cisco certification, but I really do feel that this is the way to truly LEARN the material rather than just study for a test.

Watching CBTNuggets before each chapter makes it much easier to comprehend.

Practicing the commands with Packet Tracer or your own lab is essential, I don't feel you would really understand configuring the switches/routers without this practice.

As for study plans, I set goals for myself. It is somewhat of a p90x approach: do your best and forget the rest. I am a firm believer that if you are genuinely interested and put in the time, you WILL succeed. This material can seem daunting at first, but just start and keep going. Learn it, love it.

I also take notes during the CBTNuggets videos, highlight my book and
    make flash cards of terms/material that the book says to memorize as well as material that I did not feel 100% comfortable with.

I must say that I do more than 2 chapters in a week, but this is more of a "learn everything overview phase" I will then get more in depth to what the test questions tell me that I do not know, or something that I do not feel comfortable with.

I do test questions every night to test what I actually know compared to what I think I might know.

I can't say it enough, just get started with it. You will love this material and there are plenty of resources that make this material incredibly enjoyable and help you towards a life-long pursuit of knowledge in networking.