Options

port forwarding necessity/unnecessity for online games

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I haven't had to forward any ports for gaming or torrenting since I got a router that implements UPnP correctly. Much easier to just let UPnP do it's job.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heero wrote: »
    I haven't had to forward any ports for gaming or torrenting since I got a router that implements UPnP correctly. Much easier to just let UPnP do it's job.

Yeah, since UPnP does it automatically, it becomes much easier. But, how about opening a security breach by doing that?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I haven't had to dick around with ports in years either.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    I was using the Blizzard downloader the other day to download the Diablo 3 Beta and those of you that have played Blizz games know how touchy their downloader is. I was getting about 100k dl speed, I wanted to play Diablo 3 that night, so that kind of speed wasn't going to cut it.

Did some reading and found out forwarding several ports could possibly speed the dl up. Went to my routers set up page 192.x.x.x and forwarded 2 ports. As soon as I hit "save changes" my dl speed rapidly increased to almost 2mb's.

Still not entirely sure how port forwarding works, but it helped me out here. Fyi this is the only time i've ever had to do this for anything gaming related.
    Never stop learning.