Career level up!

EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
I've been keeping this quiet for almost a month now... I can finally share this!

Microsoft offered me a job as a Premier Field Engineer working with Exchange! This is pretty much my dream job. I start March 26th. They made the offer back on February 3rd, but I didn't get my official start date until today, had to wait for a background check to finish.

The base salary is a 34% increase for me. I'll get up to a 20% bonus annually based on performance, plus a 20% bonus every quarter that they make use my security clearance. I also get $15k in stock as soon as I start, then another $15k in stock every year locked in at whatever the price is on my start date. 100% paid medical (i.e. no deductions from my paycheck), free Microsoft software for myself, and discounts from a ton of other companies. 4 weeks of in-house training every year, plus $5k for job related non-Microsoft training.

I'll have opportunities to not only attend things like TechEd and MMS every year, but also to speak at them. I'll get to earn my MCM on Exchange too. :D

I'm so excited! The base salary alone destroys my goal of breaking the 6 figure income barrier before I turn 30, and with only months to spare. Base salary + bonuses absolutely obliterates that barrier! I also reached my goal of some day working for Microsoft. I told my wife I have to come up with at least 1 new goal now, so I've decided my new goal should be Millionaire before age 40. :D

Best part is, I don't have to move for this new job, I get to continue working out of my home. I'll have to travel a bit more, but it will be Monday through Thursday travel whenever I do.

Big thanks to everyone here for all the advice over the last several months.

Follow your dreams, you can reach your goals, I'm living proof, BEEFCAKE!
Cartmanbeefcake.gif

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!

Nice catch :D
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Very nice bump!
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    THIS is what it's all about!
    Needs 100K
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's awesome! Congrats
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, well done buddy.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is awesome. Do you mind sharing your background?
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Congrats! That is an awesome dream job! Glad you got it ! I must say I think you have more than a security + certification to obtain such a job :D
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Like a frickin boss! Congrats sir, that sounds absolutely amazing.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I hate you so much and congrats man. This is so awesome. I have been following your threads as you have made your transitions lately and was hoping that this was going to happen. This is a dream for many of us and you are an inspiration for us. Congrats again sir!

Maybe I will see you at MMS in April.
    In his profile he added his linkedin. He has been working with exchange for 12 years.

Josh Bryant | LinkedIn
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Thanks all!
    higherho wrote: »
    Congrats! That is an awesome dream job! Glad you got it ! I must say I think you have more than a security + certification to obtain such a job :D

Not really, only other certs I have are an out dated Windows 2000 MCP, a really old Dell SAN Solutions Provider, and Dell PowerVault 136T cert. I will be adding certs very soon, as I'll have to get all the MCITP prerequisites done to start on my MCM.

I don't have a degree. I technically never even attended high school, or graduated from one for that matter.
    That is awesome. Do you mind sharing your background?

Sure I'll share some tomorrow... my resume is on a few threads in this section as an example for people who were looking for resume help... it shows my background pretty well.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Thats great man! Congratz!
    meh
    Everyone wrote: »
    Thanks all!

Not really, only other certs I have are an out dated Windows 2000 MCP, a really old Dell SAN Solutions Provider, and Dell PowerVault 136T cert. I will be adding certs very soon, as I'll have to get all the MCITP prerequisites done to start on my MCM.

I don't have a degree. I technically never even attended high school, or graduated from one for that matter.

Sure I'll share some tomorrow... my resume is on a few threads in this section as an example for people who were looking for resume help... it shows my background pretty well.

You did not even go to high school? Really?

Interesting, anyways you have a lot of experience and you for sure must know about exchange.
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Everyone wrote: »
    Thanks all!

Wow that is awesome! Cannot wait to hear some background info :) I've been trying and pushing myself as hard as I can and have been taken every hard position I can get (and volunteering for positions with in my company that at the time were above my scope lol). I hope to land something like you one day :) you deserve it man! sounds like you worked very hard!!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very nice! Congrats!
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Sweet! Congrats on the position!

Ok, so did you have to answer all the "why is a manhole cover round?" type questions for the interview?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My goodness. All together it sounds like close to $200k a year job?!

With no highschool and only an associates degree that is phenomenal.

Congrats! Now then, where do we learn about other Microsoft jobs that allow full telecommute?? :)
  • computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Congrats!
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow! That's just awesome! Please, share your background. There are plenty of IT success stories, but not many with no diploma, no degree, and almost no certifications getting to do this type of work. Even being at the level to consider MCM is impressive.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congrats man!! What a nice gig. I wish you all the success in the world in your new postion. icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! Stay positive and enjoy the journey!!!bowing.gifbowing.gif
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Josh

That's great news brother. I wish you the best on your awesome voyage.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice Josh! For someone like you it was only a matter of time before you landed something big. That work-from-home thing is a HUGE plus, IMHO. Soon enough we'll have our second MCM on the TE forums (royal is our first MCM and on Exchange too) !
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice! Congrats!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats on getting your dream job!
  • Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Congrats! Definitely sounds like a dream come true.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, sounds like a great opportunity!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!icon_cheers.gif its kind of an inspiration for the non-degree holders.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS