Options

Beating my head around trying to set up Remote Connection my Lab

ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
Can anyone give me a step by step on what I need to do to set up a successful connection to my Home lab?

I have a 2511 and 4x 2600XM routers with 3x 2950 switches.

My internet connection is Cable from wall > Modem > Linksys Wireless Router w/ 4 ports

Currently I just have my lab set up on it's own and haven't tried connecting it to my home network at all.

What is the easiest way to go about setting it up so that I can remote in?

I'm getting so confused reading previous posts about VNC and VPN to do so.

Comments

• Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    I have a wireless bridge from my lab (VLAN1) to my wireless router... If your home router supports static routes, you can set the static routes for the "lab" networks in the config, otherwise, I use NAT on my "edge" router in my lab to allow the lab to be accessed (and have access to) my home network. I also have wireless access points in my lab network... to make it easier. If I don't connect to the WAP inside the lab, I can telnet to my "edge" router... and from there... telnet to other routers.

The problem I've found is that because I'm not using my Lab's "edge" router as my default gateway on my home connection, I cannot traverse to the other networks, because instead of the connection returning through my router, it's directly connected and attempts to go directly to the device.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input dustinmurphy.

I have a Linksys WRT542G Router and I believe it supports static routes in the configuration GUI.
  • Options
    NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let us know what you come up with :)
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Just FYI ... I threw together a quick visio to illustrate my setup.... it's very minimal, but it should show you what I'm doing...

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Save yourself alot of hassle and just get a terminal server. Trying to do lab work with inband management is more pain than it's worth.
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    Save yourself alot of hassle and just get a terminal server. Trying to do lab work with inband management is more pain than it's worth.

+1

I have a Access Server 2509 connected to my 'Home Network' with a AUI transciever. This way I can totally wipout my LAB configs without having to worry about being able to connect. They are well worth the money.

Funny thing is, they were in a cupboard at work and because they looked so old and crabby I ignored them. Then someone mentioned the 2509 on here and I had a go.

Best thing ever, saves all the console ports being reconnected and disconnected too!
  • Options
    cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Futura wrote: »
    +1

I have a Access Server 2509 connected to my 'Home Network' with a AUI transciever. This way I can totally wipout my LAB configs without having to worry about being able to connect. They are well worth the money.

Funny thing is, they were in a cupboard at work and because they looked so old and crabby I ignored them. Then someone mentioned the 2509 on here and I had a go.

Best thing ever, saves all the console ports being reconnected and disconnected too!

hello mate could you send me your config for the 2509 please

ive got one and it only works well if the hostnames are set on the other devices, it works without but its as slow as hell icon_sad.gif

thanks
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Save yourself alot of hassle and just get a terminal server.

Another +1!

It's much easier to setup a term server and remote into it then trying to configure and telnet to everything. Just make sure your home router is tight on security, because you don't want anyone getting in and destroying anything!

I setup my Lantronix for this, all my console ports are on the same subnet as my home router, this way I can create loads (depends on how many routers you have) of different subnets.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I assume by terminal sever you mean a 2509 or 2511? Or a router with NM 16/32 in it?

If so, I've got a 2511RJ.
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    will grab you my config, but this is how it worked for me,

Assign an Ip address to the Ethernet Link using AUI connector thats in your 'Home network' make sure you can telnet the access server first.....

then. say your 2509 ip address is 192.168.0.100
    create 8 of these below, one for each cable on the Octal Cable

must be port 2001 to 2008 or more if using the bigger access server.

ip host SW1 2001 192.168.0.100

ip host SW2 2002 192.168.0.100

ip host SW3 2003 192.168.0.100

ip host R1 2004 192.168.0.100

and so on and so on

When you type R1 in the access server it will connect to R1 and Type S1 it will connect to
    S1, where R1 = Router 1 etc. To get back to access server type Ctrl+Shift+6 X. sometimes it gets
    stuck so a simple 'clear line 4'or whichever line you using gets it back for you.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore help. let me know
  • Options
    SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A great alternative to the pricey Cisco terminal servers is a Digi CM32. Bought one for 100$ shipped from Ebay and it works like a charm. Inexpensive, uses regular cat5 cables between itself and the console ports on Cisco devices etc...

Web managed, allows direct telnet/SSH to components via specific ports, etc...
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SUBnet192 wrote: »
    A great alternative to the pricey Cisco terminal servers is a Digi CM32. Bought one for 100$ shipped from Ebay and it works like a charm. Inexpensive, uses regular cat5 cables between itself and the console ports on Cisco devices etc...

+1 on this. I bought mine off of eBay last week for $48 + shipping.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    +1 on this. I bought mine off of eBay last week for $48 + shipping.
    Great device for the price so far icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i got a 2509 as a terminal server which is connected to my home server which has a remote desktop. its even accessable from outside via a dyndns setup.

additionally i keep a basic config on the switches so i can access them via telnet when i am in my bedroom. sounds pretty nerdy i guess :D
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    SUBnet192 wrote: »

Wow interesting! How is the web interface?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    gprasadbgprasadb Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Its interesting.

I have a terminal server connected to 2 routers 2611XM & 2610XM. And also i have linksys router x3000 which i want to configure with terminal server so that i can access the terminal server wirelessly(wifii).

Could you please guide me how to configure the wifii router with Terminal server?
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Enter the IP address that you've configured on your terminal server in putty to access it. That's if you have everything configured correctly.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S