IPv6 address ::

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, there is an IPv6 address according to my book referred to as :: which is all zeros. It says that host could use it when attempting to learn their "IP address". I thought they could use a self created link-local address to use as the source when using NDP. Someone please clarify.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    So, there is an IPv6 address according to my book referred to as :: which is all zeros. It says that host could use it when attempting to learn their "IP address". I thought they could use a self created link-local address to use as the source when using NDP. Someone please clarify.

I was under the impression IPv6 hosts sent out a FF02::2 (Quoting from my memory so the address may be wrong) unicast for a Router Solitation (RS), awaiting a RA back on FF02::1 (?)

Code, im looking.

I see the :: address. Hosts use this while discovering their IP address.

Rather, for quotations:

"The other special address is the :: address (all binary 0s). This address represents the unknown address, which hosts can use when sending packets in an effort to discover their IP addresses."

Although, Im looking at the way a IPv6 host boots on the same page and says:

"The host calculate its IPv6 link local address (begins with FE80::/10)."

You get +Rep, because im looking frantically for a definitive answer.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams