Options

How is the Real World of IT ?

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello TechExamers!

I am currently a student and never did any job before and will be graduating soon by God's grace. Can you please guide me and tell me more about the real world ? Do employers expect you to know everything and saved in your brain or do you guys use guidelines, instructions or use search engines like google to solve problems. How much time do the boss expects to take a problem to be solved and are the IT teams in big number in companies ? do they teach you when you are not able to solve a task. Thanks a lot guys. :) God bless

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Hello TechExamers!

I am currently a student and never did any job before and will be graduating soon by God's grace. Can you please guide me and tell me more about the real world ? Do employers expect you to know everything and saved in your brain or do you guys use guidelines, instructions or use search engines like google to solve problems. How much time do the boss expects to take a problem to be solved and are the IT teams in big number in companies ? do they teach you when you are not able to solve a task. Thanks a lot guys. :) God bless

A lot of things are industrialised now. Process driven. Time game. Management approval based. All industries go that way.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ... The first thing that went through my mind, landing a first Tech job is "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore." Highschool didn't teach me squat about the real world.

Everyone's human, you're not expect to know everything. I rely on documentation I made to save me through most issues - topologies, backups, pictures. Because I won't remember what wiring of the security camera in the ceiling goes to where.

IT teams in my company are.. well.. It's a rivalry. Mostly though, the persons who work together are a team, but otherwise it's meh.

I don't get taught to do anything. Actually the company I work for doesn't have incentives to learn. I learn because I want to :)

It's a lot of politics, that while Im learning, it's the way it's said. Be able to embrace being scared Sh*tless, if you make a mistake - hone up to it. Fix the mixtake, document it, learn, don't do it again. If you're scare of climbing and you need to for your job, be cautious - do it. You'll feel like you've conquered a mountain. It gives a personal self-satisfaction when you do something you're scared.

Give presentations to the best you can. If you hate the thought of it, do it anyways.

Close your eyes, take a deep breath and remember that we all came out the same way - Naked. And we all got a spank on the bottom to see if we were alive :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    bertstarebertstare Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Hello TechExamers!

I'm sure you expected this response but.. It depends.. I'm finishing up my bachelors and currently hold a low level tech position in a non-IT firm. I enjoy it because they will throw something at me I've never done before and give me time to delve deep into the subject and really learn something from it. I actually was given a raise last week. My boss said "Your drive is very impressive, I've recently thrown some tasks at you I didn't think you had a chance to accomplish just to see how you would respond, but you accomplished them". They prefer I do everything in my power to accomplish a task on my own and only ask for my boss' help if I've completely exhausted all research methods etc. I'm sure there are shops that are completely the opposite though.