Minors a waste of time?

Infoseeka72Infoseeka72 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I was in the lab today at my school and some chick comes up to me and starts talking about how she has to get 5 people to consider doing a minor in marketing. I have no plan on minoring in marketing, but she was fine so I listened lol. After we swapped info this had me thinking because ill have a few slots left during my senior year, is anything worth minoring in or is my time better spent studying for certs or something??

Comments

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So I was in the lab today at my school and some chick comes up to me and starts talking about how she has to get 5 people to consider doing a minor in marketing. I have no plan on minoring in marketing, but she was fine so I listened lol. After we swapped info this had me thinking because ill have a few slots left during my senior year, is anything worth minoring in or is my time better spent studying for certs or something??

I always thought minors we bs. I thought about doing a minor in computer science and then decided it wasn't for me. I can see doing it if you wanted to learn outside of your comfort zone for enjoyment. How would you use a minor in marketing?

I know business majors will get minors in other areas to compliment their degree. Finance, Econmics etc.

I'd say if you are doing IT, save the cash and do the certs.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Infoseeka72Infoseeka72 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well im an Mis major so im on the business side thats why she asked, I dont even know how they work, but jus wondering if anyone here has one.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unless you want it for knowledge it's just another way for a University or College to extract money from you. It doesn't as far as I know show on your resume, and companies are only looking for you to have a BS in something IT related.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glenn_Quagmire.png
    Need I say more?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As Veritas said, if you are interested in the knowledge, go for it. Otherwise a minor in Marketing is completely worthless for an IT professional. A minor in general has very little value. It has to truly be neck and neck for a job between you and another candidate for a minor to be what makes the difference.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Do you have an advisor or someone you can speak with regarding what is offered at your school?

I would not say a marketing degree is 'useless'. You'll be surprised at how handy it is to know many facets of business in the working world. Personally, I wouldn't limit myself, but I also would not take a course on the advice of a 'chick' or however you worded it, does she work for the school? Why would a complete stranger tell you she has to get 'x' amount of people to do anything?? Seems odd to me.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    I would not say a marketing degree is 'useless'.

Who are you quoting?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Infoseeka72Infoseeka72 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea i have an advisor guess i could e-mail her, she'll prob say do it lol. I wasnt considering marketing tho, just a minor in general if its to any benefit. The girl is a marketing major at my school tho its some kind of assignment their doing just to see if people are interseted, she basically just had to ask people and get permission to send us info about it, we dont have to apply for it if we dont want to. I was only interested in seeing her again lol.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was only interested in seeing her again lol.

glen-quagmire.png
    Thatta boy!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams