Options

Basic questions about getting started

tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
I've set up my lab equipment (three 1721's and two 2950's) and have three WIC 1DSU T1 cards installed. My very basic question is how do I terminal into the equipment now? In class we'd always use rollover cables and use HyperTerminal or Putty. I'm not sure how to do this with just ethernet cables.

Comments

• Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In order to do the initial setup I believe you have to use a rollover cable. You can't SSH or Telnet into a device unless it's configured properly (credentials setup) and has an IP Address.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I'm pretty sure that you are going to need a rollover cable and a terminal emulation program to get started. I am guessing you did not get these pieces of equipment new. There could be IP addresses on them, but you have no way of knowing.

When I got my used lab equipment, I almost always had to do a password recovery on them first. It is good practice.

You can get cheap rollover cables on eBay for about $2.50 each.
  • Options
    Okay, so I HAVE to have a rollover cable. Thanks for the info, I'll go order them now. And yes, they are used so I will probably have to do the password recovery - looking forward to it though since that is the kind of experience simulations can't offer. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    remember that you also order an USB to SERIAL adapter if you are using a laptop or computer without a serial port...
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    remember that you also order an USB to SERIAL adapter if you are using a laptop or computer without a serial port...

Ah, thank you!