Options

Buy vs. Build

WFMAHWFMAH Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have built dozens of PC's, mostly 5-10 years ago though. Built a gaming rig for someone last August, that being my most recent experience. I appreciate the customization that is possible with personally selecting each and every component. However, does anyone know of a place to buy turn key pc systems cheap? I don't need support except for actual hardware failure.

I ran through a couple builds on Dell.com, and there were many limitations on how to upgrade. 1TB hard drive was the minimum! No thanks, I'll take a smaller HD and put the rest on the network. 4X2GB RAM sticks? No thanks.

I have the feeling that I should just build my own, but it's worth a shot, right?

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Newegg has several options for barebones systems. You may want to start there, and then just addon any components you need to complete the build. Otherwise, yeah, I'd suggest just going ahead and fleshing out a component list and pricing it out yourself.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I'm in the exact same boat at the moment. After I finish WGU, I plan on catching up on some games that I have missed over the past year but my current gaming PC is now 7 years old. The processor is still great, but the mobo no longer supports a decent graphics card. In the past, I have used Tom's Hardware for their reviews and based builds off of their Gaming Rig articles. They have always had excellent advice in the past. This time I will probably be having the lowest budget ever and will most likely look at their $600 budget gaming rig, upgrading a few parts as mentioned in articles since that one was posted in November.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Just build you're own. Based on what you've said, I don't think you'd be happy any other way. Since you've built many before, it shouldn't take you that long to build another one. Obviously not as fast as just being able to pull something out of the box and turn it on, but it will be worth it for you.
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Sorry, got interrupted by work during my last post.

I have looked at Dell and Lenovo, new and outlet, and for the price; it's just not worth it. The only thing that a manufacturer built computer is good for is the warranty. For a laptop, buy one. For a desktop, just build it yourself.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    WFMAH wrote: »
    I have built dozens of PC's, mostly 5-10 years ago though. Built a gaming rig for someone last August, that being my most recent experience. I appreciate the customization that is possible with personally selecting each and every component. However, does anyone know of a place to buy turn key pc systems cheap? I don't need support except for actual hardware failure.

I ran through a couple builds on Dell.com, and there were many limitations on how to upgrade. 1TB hard drive was the minimum! No thanks, I'll take a smaller HD and put the rest on the network. 4X2GB RAM sticks? No thanks.

I have the feeling that I should just build my own, but it's worth a shot, right?

My advice would be to simply build what you want or buy a refurbished high-end desktop that you can give the hot beef injection to by upgrading components like the memory and additional drives if you are okay with not having the mightiest GPU that ever came out of a design lab. If you want turn-key, there are no choices that will be inexpensive and your support options won't be great no matter what assurances you buy. That's just how things go.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    The gap between buying/building low to mid range systems is generally pretty small, especially when you factor in warranty/support. Obviously if one is capable, they should just build. Dont limit yourself to Newegg though. They are not as great as they use to be.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    There are warranties on the equipment you buy to build the PC. Usually 1 year... or you can buy an extended one for a little more money. Why do you need a warranty on the entire PC?
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently in the middle of building a new one for myself. I'm taking it pretty slow, only buying things as they drop to a decent price. It's going to be a beast when it is done. I don't think I could buy a machine of the caliber I am building for less. I don't think I will ever buy another machine. I have too much fun building them.
    :study:
  • Options
    stavmanstavman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree I really like putting them together and picking out everything. i just put a nice machine together for fathers office with a SSD.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    For a standard rig... It's probably a toss up between a pre-built PC and a home-built PC. For a good gaming rig... build it... You can customize components to what YOU want. You can do that with a Dell/HP/Lenovo, however it will cost you.
  • Options
    bertstarebertstare Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    The gap between buying/building low to mid range systems is generally pretty small, especially when you factor in warranty/support. Obviously if one is capable, they should just build. Dont limit yourself to Newegg though. They are not as great as they use to be.

This. If you piece together a pc on newegg or similar and look at a similar spec'd computer at bestbuy you will be surprised at how similarly priced they are. Places like bestbuy generally make very little profit on their computers but make up for it when people purchase the protection plans that are hundreds of dollars that you won't need. This of course applies to low to mid level computers. One week the rig you want might be cheaper to make, next week cheaper to buy at a retailer.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yeah. Shopping around these days is the key.

Newegg is still pretty good. But you can find the same items cheaper if you're willing to dig.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    tr1x wrote: »
    There are warranties on the equipment you buy to build the PC. Usually 1 year... or you can buy an extended one for a little more money. Why do you need a warranty on the entire PC?

Because that is someone else taking care of the issue for you. Why else do businesses invest in warranties for the equipment they buy? My time is valuable, whether it is at home or at work. Not everyone out there as a go to computer guy to call and not every go to computer guy wants to field all those calls either. That's something that every individual has to weigh on their own. But regardless, warranties and support do carry value. I haven't seen no less than 1 year is included on all of them.

Also, given the cost of Windows 7 is ~$100...you've already made a considerable dent in an entry-level type of budget. Hence why I said low-mid range systems have a much smaller price gap between buying/building. For high end, there's no question that building is much cheaper.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But regardless, warranties and support do carry value.
    Yes, definitely. One good reason to buy a pre-built PC is to get support for the entire PC from a single vendor. With a pre-built PC you will have a single serial number and the vendor probably has a record of the sale so you don't have to track down the receipt. The quality of support will vary by vendor but at least it should be convenient. If you build your own PC, the warranty on individual components is usually good (mobo - 2 to 3 years, HDD - 3 to 5 years, CPU - 3 years, RAM - lifetime, video card - lifetime, PSU - 3 years), but if you need help or anything breaks it is inconvenient since you have to go to the vendor of that part (the quality of support will be inconsistent).

I've been building my own desktops for years and have had to return pretty much every component (except a CPU). Generally I have found that mobo and video card vendors are likely to have bad support, hard drive and RAM vendors are good, and others (PSU, fans) vary. The relatively long warranty length (as previously mentioned, lifetime in some cases) is one major reason I prefer to build, despite an occasional bad support experience.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if your going for a gaming rig definitely build your own rig. You'll save a ton and get more for your money
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Like what was said already the savings for economy and mid range is small now a days, if your going to build yourself go top of the line to make it worth it. I am too lazy to build and usually find good deals on pre builts.