Options

This exam is really stupid

skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys, I'm sorry to say but this is the most poorly written exam I've ever taken. I've taken the CCNP BCSI/BCMSN composite exam, CCNA 640-802, and 640-533. I felt all of them were a fair test. The only one I failed was the BSCI/BCMSN composite exam. This one however makes you memorize things like who cares. Like how far can a IRA signal go. Wow I reallyt want to hire that person.

I really feel that Cisco Press put together an excellent practice exam on their book. It really does meet every objective of the exam. It also makes you memorize the areas where to configure certain things on the controller and the AP which is really stupid. Unlike the CCNA Security, CCNA, and CCNP exams which show you a picture and will ask you what will this do if you do this, it's total memorize the book and boy do they ever hit you hard on it.

The advice I have is study for this exam and then avoid taking it. If you fail it, don't waste your time. Move onto something else. It's not a very accurate assessment of how well you know Cisco's wireless technologies.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    While I will say the CCNA:W was probably the worst (and easiest exam) I'v taken from Cisco, how does the WLC differ from the SDM in the CCNA:S? After the SDM is EoL and replaced already and yet it's still tested on. (I think that is worse in my opinion).

CCNA:W just needs a few more labs and some more RF focused questions/objectives the it will be more up to par.

The RF is more important then the actual WLAN hardware.

(I would definitely reccomend CWNP over CCNA:W for anyone wanting to learn WLAN technologies unless they deal exclusivley wit Cisco hardware, but you will learn from the WCL Config Guides then from the CCNA:W test for day to day operations.)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Heck I don't think it's the easiest. I think it's the hardest because it's poorly written. I felt like CCNA Security was the easiest of the 4 Cisco exams I've taken so far. I don't think that test accessed my knowledge accurately at all. I read through the Official Study Guide once and re-read each chapter twice in the process. I took practice exams and then took the real test and failed. I re-read the book again. This is like a CompTIA test only they're serious about their goofy ridiculous questions. I have no idea how CompTIA grades, but you feel like you're going to fail until you get to the end and find out you passed with ease.

Well anyway some of it may have to do with different learning styles.
  • Options
    Slater1601Slater1601 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So did you eventually pass? Just curious since you have it listed as one of your certs. You're making me nervous because I'm studying for this exam as well lol. I need to get something on the books before all my cisco stuff expires.
  • Options
    I eventually did pass.

Make sure you take good notes. This one is not about how well you can think through a question as much as it is about memorizing.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel that the CCNA Wireless was a waste of time. Halfway through my studies, it felt like Cisco's marketing department had a hand in forming the material. I wish I could trade this for a CWNA as I'm sure that would've really taught me something.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    docrice wrote: »
    , it felt like Cisco's marketing department had a hand in forming the material.

I left that comment on multiple test questions when I took that exam. I am so happy I am not the only to make that connection

I
    docrice wrote: »
    , wish I could trade this for a CWNA as I'm sure that would've really taught me something.

Yea I kind of wish I finished that.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    So I recently passed my CWNA and am really doubting about taking the CCNA:W now. However I am curious though. Might as well bite the bullet. CWNA was definitely the hardest exam I've taken so far.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403