Options

WL300N-AR router and broadcast question?

BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm doing an internship for this place and I need some advice. They currently have three Ambicon WL300N-ARs in their network. They are set up as AP and everything has been running fine untill we tried to put a security DVR/camera behind each of the ambicon routers. The first one worked without any issues but once we connected the second DVR to the network became unusable, very slow. Someone told the IT guy that it was probably a broadcast storm. I don't know anything about the ambicon routers, but if the wireless is setup as a AP would it forward broadcast? I was under the impression that routers did not forward broadcast. or by setting it up as a AP it no longer performs as a router?The three Ambicons are connected to a unmanaged fiber switch, I asked for a make and model but he didn't know. Also connected to the fiber switch is another unmanaged netgear switch. I decided to load a picture of the topology with the hopes that it will help.

Comments

• Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Generally speaking, if it's setup as an AP only, it does not do any routing. By your diagram, it appears that they are being used as a Router/AP. If that's the case... then, no... they don't forward broadcasts.

An easy way to see what's going on is setup a PC with Wireshark and look at what's being broadcast on the network. I have had a broadcast storm caused by multicasting from an imaging program.... found it using Wireshark. :)
  • Options
    BobbyDCBobbyDC Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I won't be able to get out there with a laptop till maybe tomorrow. There are a few other options under the wireless tab on the router.

AP
    Station Infastructure
    AP Bridge Point to Point
    AP Bridge Point to Mulit Point
    AP Bridge WDS
    Universal Repeater

We want this to act as a router that allows wireless host to connect. If thats not possible with these routers we will swap the fiber switch out for a managed switch and set up some VLANs?