Options

build question

epicdeanepicdean Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have a family friend that just started there own business and wants me as his IT guy. I am a network guy by trade so I have a few question for you guys. He has three employees through out Canada they are all using drop box right now to share files etc. He would like a better option so what I was thinking is building a windows file server and vpn access to it for him and his employees and it will sit at my house. So my question is that the best route to go here or is there other options out there that I am missing any help on this would be great.

Comments

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    epicdean wrote: »
    So I have a family friend that just started there own business and wants me as his IT guy. I am a network guy by trade so I have a few question for you guys. He has three employees through out Canada they are all using drop box right now to share files etc. He would like a better option so what I was thinking is building a windows file server and vpn access to it for him and his employees and it will sit at my house. So my question is that the best route to go here or is there other options out there that I am missing any help on this would be great.

No. No. No. **** no. Do not do anything of the sort. Take yourself out of the equation as much as possible. There are business-oriented secure file sharing services that do exactly what is needed without any headaches on your part.
  • Options
    dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    No. No. No. **** no. Do not do anything of the sort. Take yourself out of the equation as much as possible. There are business-oriented secure file sharing services that do exactly what is needed without any headaches on your part.

+1000 - hosting business services at your house is a HUGE red flag... It makes YOU liable for anything that might happen to that server. (i.e. someone breaks into your house... and steals the server... YOU are liable for not only the equipment, but also the data)... and that's just ONE reason... there are a MILLION reasons to not host business services at your personal home. HUGE no-no.

Your idea is a good one, however host it at the business office, in a secured server room.

There are also services out there to allow for this type of situation.... similar to dropbox, but more robust for the business-oriented user. You/he will have to evaluate whether the business would rather have a monthly cost with very little overhead (electricity, hosting costs, etc), or hosting your own server.
  • Options
    ok should I just rent a hosted server some where and manage it remotely, also what are some good company's I should look int.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    +1000 - hosting business services at your house is a HUGE red flag... It makes YOU liable for anything that might happen to that server. (i.e. someone breaks into your house... and steals the server... YOU are liable for not only the equipment, but also the data)... and that's just ONE reason... there are a MILLION reasons to not host business services at your personal home. HUGE no-no.

Your idea is a good one, however host it at the business office, in a secured server room.

There are also services out there to allow for this type of situation.... similar to dropbox, but more robust for the business-oriented user. You/he will have to evaluate whether the business would rather have a monthly cost with very little overhead (electricity, hosting costs, etc), or hosting your own server.

Not to mention that your ISP can find out and force you to upgrade to business-level service, which may be significantly more expensive to you.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Thank you this is excatly what I was looking for