Options

raspberry pi

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey

I saw this online today and I thought it would be kinda cool to buy. Basically it's a very very small computer but an operating system has to be loaded on to an sd card.

The Raspberry Pi Launch

I'm thinking about maybe buying two of the type b models and loading openSuSE and Ubuntu on them. I hope these could be good aditions to the security lab that I'm working on. Has anyone brought one of these?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Getting one :) they are awesome I want one just to dabble with Linux was thinking of building a custom case out of lego to house it
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The lego idea is awesome! Nice price tag on these things too.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I like the lego idea too!!! I might actually build something out of wood to protect the computer.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could probably put it in a monitor stand or 3.5" bay of a PC and use it as a firewall / router or combine it with a Liliput Screen
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah you missed my post about these yesterday.

You wont get them for love nor money for a while. One of our clients is RS, as it says on the new it crashed there web-servers due to the number of people looking to buy. the sold out the first batch in minutes (10,000) of them.

RS reported saying they saw 1.4million requests for there order page in 2 hours!!

but I will defiantly be getting a few. I am thinking,

1 X external usb hard drive.
    1 X Rasberry PI
    2 X strips of duct tape

= one NAS/WEB server

:)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Omg, I've been waiting forever for them to release these. I was on their mailing list and they didn't tell me they were available! So thanks for posting this lol, I'm going to go order one now.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    Omg, I've been waiting forever for them to release these. I was on their mailing list and they didn't tell me they were available! So thanks for posting this lol, I'm going to go order one now.

Frikkin exactly, I was kinda mad; like you I was waiting forever on it. I only could preorder one.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    I have a feeling there are going to be great, in a large part by the huge user base! Cant wait to see the things people get up to with them. And sharing ideas will just be the case of uploading SD card images.

My mate is thinking of adding his one to his RC copter as an auto pilot/trainer :)think it will be a few weeks before we see them n our own desks though. The team behind it are still in shock at the level of response.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm waiting for a guide on how to do this or that with one. Call me lazy.... :)
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i plan on making one as a webserver for a personal website
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I registered "my interest" on both of the sites that were selling them. I'm not holding my breath to see them anytime soon.

It's just the right size to sit on top of my router in the closet and filter the kids web requests.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I put myself on the interest list as well, I can't wait to get a couple and see what ideas I can come up with. These things are exciting!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would be nice to see Windows CE on it too - since it is for ARM processors as well ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan to order a few too when they come out.
  • Options
    I was able to plane on order (qty. 2) on Newark yesterday. I received an email saying I could go ahead and place an order, but get this:

Expected Ship Date: 05/14/2012

• Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    I was able to plane on order (qty. 2) on Newark yesterday. I received an email saying I could go ahead and place an order, but get this:

Expected Ship Date: 05/14/2012

Wow thats crazy! Hopefully it comes sooner than that!
    Booya!!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hm I thought they were only allowing you to purchase one at this time. I also can't wait to purchase a few. I'm gonna use one as a web server too :)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    I had heard about the 1 qty. limit as well, but thought I would shoot for 2 and see what happens. Sure enough, I was able to purchase them, so we'll see if 2 actually show up in a few months. The confirmation and all said qty. 2. Who knows, maybe they'll contact me Monday and tell me my order was reduced to one piece.

It will be nice to have something I can use for SSH relay, web server, filter, etc., that will not require a ton of power and be up all the time.

• Options
    Both the suppliers have confirmed that they will only be shipping one per customer for the first production run.

Seeing as they are a charity I am more than happy to get my one and will order a second / third at a later date.

I am also thinking of taking up there buy one + one. where they donate the second for education, I love the idea of getting as many kids involved in this as possible. So many people coming in to IT now know how to use a PC but have no real idea how they work.
  • Options
    I hope they will add a CentOS image (I guess I'll have to settle for Fedora though which they plan to release soon.)
  • Options
    exampasser wrote: »
    I hope they will add a CentOS image (I guess I'll have to settle for Fedora though which they plan to release soon.)

You will be able to make our own, I was thinking this would be a good project from me to really delve in to Linux and learn how to compile kernals for specific platforms, The fact that I can afford to own a few means, one or two for web/media servers, and one for playing around with.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    You will be able to make our own, I was thinking this would be a good project from me to really delve in to Linux and learn how to compile kernals for specific platforms, The fact that I can afford to own a few means, one or two for web/media servers, and one for playing around with.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Both the suppliers have confirmed that they will only be shipping one per customer for the first production run.

Seeing as they are a charity I am more than happy to get my one and will order a second / third at a later date.

I am also thinking of taking up there buy one + one. where they donate the second for education, I love the idea of getting as many kids involved in this as possible. So many people coming in to IT now know how to use a PC but have no real idea how they work.

I'd be totally cool if they take the second one and donate it. It was purchased as an intended gift. Plus $35 to education is money well spent.

• Options
    I just ordered mine :)

UPDATE: Rats, it's on back order oh well,
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Orders were placed over a year in advance, so it might be a long wait. I've heard that first priority is being given to orders placed by businesses and schools.
  • Options
    It will indeed be a long wait, they are estimating that they will be able to ship them out by August.
  • Options
    On the bottom of my "Order Information" page from Newark, it said,

1 Expected to ship Apr 3, 2012
    Further stock expected to ship May 14, 2012

They must be getting a ton of continued interest in these things.

• Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    On the bottom of my "Order Information" page from Newark, it said,

1 Expected to ship Apr 3, 2012
    Further stock expected to ship May 14, 2012

They must be getting a ton of continued interest in these things.

RS have said they have 200,000 people registered there interest and it is still increasing at 10 per minute!! but they have also massively ramped up production so they think they will start to see large numbers imported over the next few weeks
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Orders were placed over a year in advance, so it might be a long wait. I've heard that first priority is being given to orders placed by businesses and schools.

The guys on the site are saying first orders they want to be going to the "hacking" community to produce the tools for the schools to use. They are organising a second launch in the summer that will be aimed at schools and education sites, by which time they hope the community will have come up with the applications and tools that will make it easy for teachers to introduce them to the class room.
  • Options
    Quick question, for standard packages like dhcpd, bind, httpd, etc. for the Fedora build, does anyone know if repositories are available and/or configured for ARM builds (from what I have found out it looks like a yes but not 100% sure)?
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Could probably put it in a monitor stand or 3.5" bay of a PC and use it as a firewall / router or combine it with a Liliput Screen

Great for a carputer solution. I currently have a Atom-based system with a Liliput screen in my car.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!