Options

raspberry pi

2»

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Keep checking Hack a Day for Raspberry Pi DIY articles. They don't even have "Raspberry Pi" in their tag cloud yet, but they do have a few Raspberry Pi articles posted.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    Quick question, for standard packages like dhcpd, bind, httpd, etc. for the Fedora build, does anyone know if repositories are available and/or configured for ARM builds (from what I have found out it looks like a yes but not 100% sure)?

It is indeed a yes as I mounted the image file in a VM and found out that repositories are configured.
  • Options
    tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Update: Ordered mine yesterday, the site says it will be here in 2-3 days :D
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    woot - got an invite too - flash with OS is sold out - but where is the fun in just plug and play anyway :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Fyi,
    Dear Onesaint,

We're excited to inform you that your Raspberry Pi will be delivered in an upcoming shipment beginning the week of June 29th. We will have your firm delivery date, after manufacturer confirmations are made, on Newark.com.

I ordered in March.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yep got my invite today :) will be putting in the order shortly
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really want a couple of these even though I have no idea what I would do with them yet.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    W00t! Just got the shipment confirmation!
    Shipping Details:
    Carrier Name: UPS
    Carrier Service: E14 UPS GROUND
    Shipment Date: 06/05/2012 13:32:05
    Tracking Number: xxxx

Line No:
    Stock No:
    83T1943
    Manufacturer Part No:
    RASPBRRY-PCBA
    UOM
    Each 1
    Quantity Shipped:
    Price:
    $35.00
    Extended Price:
    $70.00

Customer Part Number:

Description: RASPBERRY PI MODEL B - BOARD ONLY; Silicon Manufacturer:Broadcom; Core Architecture:ARM; Core Sub-Architecture:ARM11; Silicon Core Number:BCM2835; Kit Contents:Board Only

I'll see it in week or so, hopefully.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    . . .
    1 X external usb hard drive.
    1 X Rasberry PI
    2 X strips of duct tape

= one NAS/WEB server

:)

Or a handful of these for a small Linux cluster?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An alternative to Pi but at a higher price is the
    $49 Android Desktop Computer – APC by VIA

Small form factor computers are slowly starting to pop up and VIA has announced one today that will turn a lot of heads with its $49 price point. The APC Android PC system is built on a Neo-ITX board and isn’t shy of connectivity ports. We’ve got a full size VGA, HDMI, 4 x USB 2.0, a gigabyte Ethernet, micro SD card slot. It is powered by a VIA WonderMedia ARM 11 SoC running a 800MHz with 2GB of NAND Flash and 512 DDR3 SDRAM.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    petedude wrote: »
    Or a handful of these for a small Linux cluster?

Lots of discussions about this, really they are not sutible for clustering.

You could use them for some thing like folding at home clients (slow ones) but looking at the specs any thing like a Bawolf cluster will not work as the bottle nexks of there network ports/memory/storage will far out weight any of the benifits of the cluster.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just got my shipping confirmation today. Can't wait to get it and start playing around.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    I wish I would get mine already - been four weeks since I ordered icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I have yet to get mine either(ordered March 13th,expected ship date moved up to June 18th, then got moved back to June 21) icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Just got mine today actually .. Seems like they screwed up slightly .. got two but ordered only one ...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I was just watching a live stream of Minecon 2012 in Paris Disneyland and they announced a special edition of Minecraft for the Rasberry Pi. I assume this is client-only, as MC server is a single-threaded Java app and eats up to 1GB or RAM and as many CPU cycles as you can give it, so running a multi-user MC on the current RasPi would be a very laggy experience.

UPDATE: Yep, it's the MC pocket edition: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/24/minecraft-raspberry-pi-edition-announced/
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A friend just posted in facebook about minecraft for PI. Saw this thread and was going to add that, but I see I was beaten to the punch.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno