Options

ExamCram

secureheadsecurehead Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used the ExamCram for Security+. I've got the Gibson book down well and answering all the practice questions with good success rate but wanted a second source.

I got the ExamCram for 301 but it ask questions on topics such as PBXs, SIP, VOIP, automatic private addressing, Classes of IP addresses, Modem pool security.

Does anyone who has taken the test run across these subjects? I don't want to fill m head with extra info, there's enough to remember as it is!

Comments

• Options
    charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    securehead wrote: »
    Has anyone used the ExamCram for Security+. I've got the Gibson book down well and answering all the practice questions with good success rate but wanted a second source.
    ....snip...

I originally bought just the gibson books as well. I decided to purchase just the exam cram questions only. There are 2 exam crams for sec+. The other one is more for learning the material, one is just pure questions. I prefer to have some questions up hand, so I feel mentally prepare when tackling m/c questions.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Securehead, (luv the name :))

I used DG's book and also the exam cram as ref, Darril's book was the main course but I kept refering to the Exam Cram also as backup. I also did most of the questions in the Exam Cram, helped me abit no doubt. As for the subjects, I would say refere to the current exam objectives for the Sec+ 301 : Exam Objectives

Most text books basically map to the actual exam objectives, some vary in content and simplicity and accuracy of explainations, perhaps that may be an issue of interpretation also. I can tell you what books I brought, and what I thought of them if that helps:

Darril Gibbson's Book (1st choice)
    Exam Cram (2nd choice)
    Mike Myer's Sec+ Passport (maybe 3rd choice, was only a rough reference)
    Security + Certification Kit (way too much reading and a little off topics covered in my exam)
    All in One Sec + Eaxm Guide (this did not thrill me, perhaps a little too indepth)
    SEC + Cert for Dummies (perhaps not enough info, very very basic indeed!!)

Yes I spent up big on books and only really ended up reading two, and using the rest as a sort of vague reference. The Sec + content on this site and also Comptia Security+ Certification Exam - Proprofs helped me a little, just be aware that content on proprofs may be a little dated.

Also make a daily reference to Darril Gibsons site : Get Certified Get Ahead

I hope this is helpful
    Steve
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    Thank you for the input.

I do believe some of the Examcram material is dated, but many valid questions. However the wording is different and certainly questions sometimes disagree.

Certain items seem to get me tripped up, such as sometimes is seems interchangable for items like a Proxy server and a Web security appliance, or using a vlan over a DMZ, depending on the context.

So more practice may not necessarily have me know more material, it does help me stop and think about the question, and the intention "what was the author thinking when he wrote this question."
  • Options
    Hi securehead,

I well understand your point regarding wording, the fact is, you really need to understand these items first <Proxy server/Web security appliance, etc>, that is also why they recommend either A+ and Network + experience or a couple of years with a networking background. If you do not have a reasonably good grasp on the networking side of things first, you may find studying for this cert a little tough.

I would perhaps look into obtaining some networking reference material and getting your head around that, place an emphasis on firewalls and routing, also switches, ports, protocols, and items like IDS and HIDS and NIPS. This may help, but most certainly google the above as a starting point, try some Sec+ practise exams, and you will soon enough build your own picture of what knowledge you have or do not have.

It does seem these days (as far as I can tell) that many security specialities focus heavily on the management side of things, learn about; -security policy, mitigating threats, disater recovery plans, cold sites, hot sites, due diligence, due care, Incident response, imaging, adherence to the security policy, TCO, accounting, etc..the list goes on.

One thing for sure, absolutley know your firewalls, encryption and secuirty management.

Steve
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    Passed today with an 853.

Read Darrils books mostly, studied exam cram for a little bit, but ended up buying Darrils $9.99 exam practice and when back and forth between that and his book.

Certainly some things I didn't have a solid answer for, but knew enough to do the trick.
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    securehead wrote: »
    Passed today with an 853.

Read Darrils books mostly, studied exam cram for a little bit, but ended up buying Darrils $9.99 exam practice and when back and forth between that and his book.

Certainly some things I didn't have a solid answer for, but knew enough to do the trick.

Congrats!

I'm using Ciampa's book in a class I am taking and Darril's book for self study. I'm not a noob to networking/technology so I really appreciate the brevity of Darril's book compared to some of the other books out there which can be more "windy". When I feel I need to get deeper on a topic I hit up Wikipedia/Google/etc.
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Congrats Securehead, good score and welcome to the security club....now go and give Darril Gibson a virtual handshake...:)
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Can someone post a link to the curent Darrell Gibson book they used?

I see this one in BN but wonder if it is the same?

BARNES & NOBLE | CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide by Darril Gibson, CreateSpace | Paperback
  • Options
    thsouthernthsouthern Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used to read the Wikipedia article... thats free icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Ok, that is the same book. Was looking to take the test, but at 250+ a pop, I don't think it would help improve my ability to get a job..already have A+ and Net+