Options

Cisco 881W Router Config Woes

2»

Comments

• Options
    TYLERW6TYLERW6 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't believe it can replace cable modem (docsis) I do believe it can replace adsl modem. I am looking at buying one now to jimmy around with. Bonus would be tossing my constantly crashing dsl modem.
  • Options
    itorianitorian Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey LinuxRacr, how about now have you tried or know how to make the 881W use 80211.n?
    I have 2 881Ws due to a craigslist deal for $175 for both of them, hard to resist right?
    Also I might of over did it but I also got a cisco 3750.
    Any opinions out there? Did I buy too much or am I on the right path? I play with GNS3 a little bit as well. But really need to learn more and become successful like Linuxracr and multiple others here. Feel free to give me any gouge you can linuxracr. You still have your 881W?
  • Options
    itorianitorian Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's required for a VPN server? I want to remote too. (sound like such a loser)
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Post 11 in this thread should get you started in the right direction. Another thing you can do is get your hands on the CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional) software to do the EZ VPN configuration from the GUI. It will launch in an Internet Explorer window. If you have issues with the program starting up with only the top of the window showing the interface, try hitting the F12 key, and selecting the compatibility mode.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    Here is the latest fun I'm dealing with: My service-module wlan-ap 0 won't startup....

#service-module wlan-ap 0 status
    Service Module is Cisco wlan-ap0
    Service Module supports session via TTY line 2
    Service Module is trying to recover from error
    Service Module reset on error is disabled
    Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
    Service Module is in fail open
    Service Module status is not available

I had this problem last year, after a power outage that caused me to shutdown my home lab completely for most of the morning. When It came back up, no wireless. I was able to get it working again weeks later after a reload of the unit. A few days ago I had to reboot the router again, and now the wireless module seems not to want to startup.....

When I start a session and authenticate, it hangs there. Any ideas? Is my service-module bad?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What shows up under show inventory?
  • Options
    NAME: "881", DESCR: "881 chassis, Hw Serial#: Something, Hw Revision: 1.0"
    PID: CISCO881W-GN-A-K9 , VID: V01 , SN: Something

Also:

Cisco 881 (MPC8300) processor (revision 1.0) with 236544K/25600K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID <Something>

5 FastEthernet interfaces
    1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
    1 terminal line
    1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
    1 cisco Embedded AP (s)
    256K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    126000K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I assume you've been reloading the router as a whole?. If you haven't already, I would try just the module: service-module wlan-ap0 reload / service-module wlan-ap 0 reset bootloader

Reload typically sorts out my 887W, the reset would be a little more forceful.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    Yep, I've done both previously to no avail.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I'll fire mine up when I get chance to see if other ideas spark for diagnosing. You may want to post on the Cisco Forum too: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/switching . Chances are someone there may have run into the issue.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    This is what I have now:

#service-module wlan-ap 0 status
    Service Module is Cisco wlan-ap0
    Service Module supports session via TTY line 2
    Service Module is waiting for registration message
    Service Module reset on error is disabled
    Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
    Service Module is in fail open
    Service Module status is not available
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you session into the service module?

service-module wlan-ap0 session
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LinuxRacr wrote: »

When I start a session and authenticate, it hangs there. Any ideas? Is my service-module bad?

I missed this sentence. Did you wipe out all previous configs including the ones in the service engine? I know I had one unit that once I type enable I get no response from the console. Come to find out it had a previous config that disabled console activity. After I bypassed the config I was able to access it normally.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nice thread! I've been looking at replacing my soho router with something like 881w.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.