Options

Win Server 2008 or 2008 R2?

nava87nava87 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've found a good deal for win ser 2008 and would like to buy it so I could set up a lab and start studying for the MCITP. Would windows server 2008 be good practice with or would it be beneficial to go ahead and get the R2 version?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    There are enough differences between standard and R2, especially when it comes to Hyper-V and Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services, that I would highly recommend investing in a technet subscription instead. You'll get a lot more mileage out of it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Like the others have said get Technet. There is a bit that isn't in 08 that is in R2. Here is a link for a 15% discount on a subscription: Special Offers Terms and Conditions
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Microsoft loves to show off it's nice new shinny toy's you can expect more than a little being from Server 2008 R2.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    +1 for technet.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's also Dreamspark. It's free if you've got a .edu email address.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, you might as well study 03 if you're not gonna study R2. Almost as much changed in terms of exam questions (not nearly as much in terms of actual technology) between 08 and R2 as 03 and 08.

MS Press 2nd Edition + Technet + labbing + practice exams is what's needed.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    R2's been out for couple years.

As others have stated, Technet is a must for Microsoft SYSADs, I'm on my 3rd year TN subscription and didnt even have a real IT job till several months ago. Cant lab HyperV without R2 :P
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    nava87nava87 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for the reply. I'll do that. Also where would be the best place for me to get a copy of r2?
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure your subscription has the downloads option. You'll get access to a ton of OS's including W2K8 R2. Then you can install to your heart's content.