Options

9/11 GI BILL and certification boot camps?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are very few organizations that are approved.

If you want to search for an organization, look here: WEAMS Public

Make sure you select the all types under Program Types.

New Horizons, The Training Camp and CED Solutions are approved. There may be requirements as far as what location you can take GI Bill training in, just be aware of the possibility, not sure if that is still the case. CCIE is only available with Training Camp, not with CED Solutions or NH as far as I can see.

Global knowledge is not approved, but they offer discounts for government.

I could have sworn I used my MGIB for Security University's program, but it looks like they are no longer on the list for 9/11.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are close to one of LeaderQuest's three facilities, they are approved for GI Bill benefits. I took the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+, as well as two Microsoft Windows 7 courses through them. GI Bill paid for it all and gave me BAH.

I went through the Centennial office and they only recently have expanded to Texas. The people at the Centennial and Colorado Springs offices are top-notch. I received not only excellent training but equal excellent job hunting support. They connected me with many opportunities, one of which is now my full-time job. They also provide veterans with free job hunting assistance, even if you don't take any training through them (though they would be really happy if you did take the training they offer).

Full disclosure: They recently contacted me about providing tutoring assistance to one of their online A+ students. The tutoring is provided through a third party, so I am not working directly for them but I am supporting one of their programs.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How much of your GI Bill does a place like New Horizon's take?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a formula that the VA uses. They pay for the entire course and then deduct so many months of benefits. For instance, let's say they pay up to $1600 a month for training. Your training costs $3200. They will deduct two months of benefits from what you have earned.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay that makes since now. I knew some veterans that went to New Horizons. They like to sucker people into taking ~8 back to back boots camps
    A+ -> Net+ -> Windows 7 - > windows server 3 parts -> CCENT -> CCNA
    So ~$30,000 on boot camps can easily eat up your GI bill and if your taking these boot camps back to back your not going to get much out of them.
    What a waste of GI bill...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    L0@$tL0@$t Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Update: I talked to Training Camp and CED on the phone today. Training Camp requires for you to pay for your flights and about $600 up front but said that most if not all of the $600 would be reimbursed. The flight is your problem though. They said you can fly into ABE or EWR.

CED requires you to pay for your flight, hotel, books and exams. However, the books and exams are reimbursed. I am looking to take 3-4 weeks worth of classes at once so this is probably not a good option for me.

If you are looking at New Horizons PLEASE do yourself a favor and search for some reviews on them. There is a lot of bad juju out there on them. NH does supposedly cover everything which I asked the other two companies about and they said that if that is true that NH is covering everything then they are definitely fudging the numbers somewhere to the VA. This company just seems shady from head to toe so please do your research before giving them your hard-earned VA benefits.

I am still searching for other covered providers, please post any that you know of and if you have had any good/bad experience with them.

Thanks! Yours in Liberty and Semper Fi,

[EMAIL="L0@$t"]L0@$t[/EMAIL].
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    found through google: Post 9/11 GI Bill Training | St. Louis Computer Courses & Education for Veterans | Premier Knowledge Solutions

I know nothing of this company, have never used them, heard of them, etc. Just throwing it out there.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Old thread.....but am interested in some bootcamp training. I am using my GI Bill for my MBA in Infosec, would the benefit be split between the 2 or would I have to pay something out of pocket?
  • Options
    Short answer: it depends, based on what GI Bill you have. For example, Ch. 30, I believe would give you two payments, (deducting the second payment from your months of eligibility). However, Ch. 30 only reimburses 60% of the cost of the bootcamp, and you pay the entire cost upfront, and are reimbursed.

Post 9/11: Not sure, but I don't think you can do 2 at once, because they are really pushing hard to only accept courses/bootcamps that lead to a degree. They are moving away from just reimbursing alost any technical bootcamp/course, and really wanting vets to pursue degrees instead of technical/vocational courses.

Definitely check with the VA to get a 100% correct answer.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    Okay that makes since now. I knew some veterans that went to New Horizons. They like to sucker people into taking ~8 back to back boots camps
    A+ -> Net+ -> Windows 7 - > windows server 3 parts -> CCENT -> CCNA
    So ~$30,000 on boot camps can easily eat up your GI bill and if your taking these boot camps back to back your not going to get much out of them.
    What a waste of GI bill...

That's not suckering people in. Certifications are arguably more worthwhile than a degree in our industry. That 30k may be the reason for someone getting a 40k a year job. As for how much you get out of it in terms of knowledge learned, that going to depend on the person.
  • Options
    Stpn2meStpn2me Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello my fellow vets,

Just to give my experience, trainingcamp does very well and they are allowed to use the GI Bill. The only place you can go to is their place in Bushkill PA, which is a long way away and the food they serve sucks. But otherwise, I have used it to get many certs and it works! Let me know if anyone else needs anything!
  • Options
    Here is more info on trainingcamp.com:

Post 9/11 G.I. Bill - Training Camp

Stpn2me, what costs did you have to cover (that weren't by the GI Bill), such as travel, hotel, etc... or was it all covered?
    Stpn2me wrote: »
    Hello my fellow vets,

Just to give my experience, trainingcamp does very well and they are allowed to use the GI Bill. The only place you can go to is their place in Bushkill PA, which is a long way away and the food they serve sucks. But otherwise, I have used it to get many certs and it works! Let me know if anyone else needs anything!
  • Options
    cscholbergcscholberg Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are NO coding bootcamps that the VA will cover. The most recent development along this is that the White House and VA are starting to recognize these "Accelerated Learning Programs" (ALPs) as legitimate, but they have not yet reached the point where they will pay for them, despite their having, oftentimes, better results than the schools which the VA will pay for.

I have been accepted into now, officially, all of the best coding bootcamps in the country. I have GI Bill 100% remaining entitlement and I was found eligible and entitled under the Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Program and neither will cover it. Computer Science degrees at traditional or non-traditional colleges are most people's best bet on becoming a software/web developer, though these routes aren't very direct, and they don't prepare you really that well for the real world.

There is one other program which I have been accepted to, as well, which is a very legitimate route to becoming a developer that the VA will, pay for. It is not technically a bootcamp. It is a job, and the first 16 weeks are spent training full time (so, the training is essentially a bootcamp). You learn Java Development, and then you are obligated to a 2 year contract to work for the company that trained you as a temp for their clients (mostly financial institutions like commercial or investment banks and/or media companies, though there are other industries included).

The pay is between $23,000 and $43,000 the first year, and between $23,000 and $49,000 the second year. It is closer to the high end than the low end both the first and second year. After that, you are free to go or stay, and you will probably be able to command within the conservative range of $70,000 to $100,000 per year after the two years are up.

You'll have to financially support yourself the first 16 weeks during training, and the pay doesn't start till you start working. The two year obligation also does not start until you start working.

Check it out fdmgroup.com

As for JavaScript, Ruby, Python, we'll have to wait till the VA opens up who they're willing to pay for before being able to use our benefits to learn these languages. For now, Java and a 2 year contract with crap pay but excellent future opportunities is your only option.
  • Options
    Career Transition | IVMF

From the site:

The Veterans Career Transition Program, operated by the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University, is delivered at no cost to post-9/11 veterans, their spouses, and spouses of active duty military. Paid for in entirety by a grant from JPMorgan Chase & Co, VCTP offers solutions to the above challenges, as well as connections to specific education and training programs, business/industry coalitions focused on veteran employment and information about national and state-level opportunities and benefits for veterans and their families. The Professional Skills Track and the Tech Track are offered through an advisor-led group admitted quarterly, and the Independent Study Track is available for start at any time. Each track is described below.

Through online courses—accessible from any location, at any time–participants have the opportunity to gain an understanding and insight into the corporate culture of civilian business/industry, government and other civilian sector employment opportunities.

Read more at Career Transition | IVMF

Came across this in a google search - seems like an awesome FREE program for vets (AND SPOUSES TOO!!!) from Syracuse University. I just applied for the Technical Track for PMP; I'll let yall know if I get in. Might have been out too long, who knows, but was worth 20-30 min to apply.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Yes, it's taking awhile to progress. I'm currently an FA53 in the US Army and my certs are being paid by the White House Program... including the CISSP and CEH that I have coming up. I hope they will continue to make it easier. I know once I leave this school, you have to jump through more hoops.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    You are correct. It's better to use your GI Bill for college. Mine is almost exhausted and half way through a Doctorate in Business Administration Program.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    LR0926LR0926 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This may be a bit hopeful but has any used their post 9/11 GI Bill to go to a SANS bootcamp/course?
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, just cert reimbursement.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response SaSkiller, when you submitted for reimbursement, did it take a month off of your post 9/11 benefit? If so, did you receive BAH for that month as well?
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know how much time it took off. No BAH, its a reimbursement not a program. For the allowance you have to be enrolled in a program meeting a number of credit hour requirements. I've never heard of someone not attending school getting it.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    LR0926 wrote: »
    This may be a bit hopeful but has any used their post 9/11 GI Bill to go to a SANS bootcamp/course?

This doesn't answer your question directly but might offer some assistance. With their certificate program comes studying and sitting for 3 certs.

Graduate certificates | Cyber Security Engineering Core
    https://www.sans.edu/veterans
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    Thats actually really helpful, thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    Got an email today, I was accepted in the PMP program. I got out in 2006, so it's not restricted to recently separated vets, either. #winning
    colemic wrote: »
    Career Transition | IVMF

From the site:

The Veterans Career Transition Program, operated by the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University, is delivered at no cost to post-9/11 veterans, their spouses, and spouses of active duty military. Paid for in entirety by a grant from JPMorgan Chase & Co, VCTP offers solutions to the above challenges, as well as connections to specific education and training programs, business/industry coalitions focused on veteran employment and information about national and state-level opportunities and benefits for veterans and their families. The Professional Skills Track and the Tech Track are offered through an advisor-led group admitted quarterly, and the Independent Study Track is available for start at any time. Each track is described below.

Through online courses—accessible from any location, at any time–participants have the opportunity to gain an understanding and insight into the corporate culture of civilian business/industry, government and other civilian sector employment opportunities.

Read more at Career Transition | IVMF

Came across this in a google search - seems like an awesome FREE program for vets (AND SPOUSES TOO!!!) from Syracuse University. I just applied for the Technical Track for PMP; I'll let yall know if I get in. Might have been out too long, who knows, but was worth 20-30 min to apply.
  • Options
    cronoscronos Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My experience with the Post 911 is good so far because they reimburse me the full fees for the CCENT and CCNA certifications! Now I am trying to get the CEH certification but since I don’t have any experience; I have to take some kind of training prior to the exam. My question is; what amount does the Post 911 will reimburse? Because the training/exam combo cost $1,424 according to Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) Training Online - EC-CouncilEC Council iClass