Options

Troubles with imaging Windows 7

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
So after applying an image with imagex several times with several different images, I keep getting an error that the bootmgr is missing. So I boot into recovery console one the machine and run bcdboot c:\windows and the problem is fixed. My question is: what am I doing wrong during the imaging process that causes the image to either not be added to the bcd store? Or is it something entirely different. Here is the basic process I use:

1)Capture the image and copy to a share
2)Boot to winpe on the pc that I want to deploy the image to
3)map the share
4)run diskpart to create partitions, format, and mark as active
5)copy the image file to the local machine
6)apply the image with imagex

I will provide exact commands I use if needed. But just from looking at my process, does anything look wrong?
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• Options
    nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I *think* you need to initialize the BCD??? I'm not 100%

Last step would be.... C:\windows\system32\bcdboot C:\windows

Don't hold me to it...
  • Options
    nycid wrote: »
    I *think* you need to initialize the BCD??? I'm not 100%

Last step would be.... C:\windows\system32\bcdboot C:\windows

Don't hold me to it...

But is this a required step? I don't remember any documentation I've read on the subject ever say anything about having to initialize the bcd. But yes, that's how I was able to fix it. But I had to do it from the recovery console. I guess doing right after applying the image isn't much extra work.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    nycidnycid Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    a quick google search gave me this:

Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals

towards the bottom... Seems logical to me :)
  • Options
    nycid wrote: »
    a quick google search gave me this:

Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals

towards the bottom... Seems logical to me :)

Excellent! Thanks man. That's exactly what I was looking for :D

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes doing that step is required.
  • Options
    barringtonjrbarringtonjr Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4_lom wrote: »
    But is this a required step? I don't remember any documentation I've read on the subject ever say anything about having to initialize the bcd. But yes, that's how I was able to fix it. But I had to do it from the recovery console. I guess doing right after applying the image isn't much extra work.

Yes it is required, its the last and final step. After doing that you wont have that problem anymore.