Opinion on CCNA Lab Kits on Ebay

Vontech615Vontech615 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm needing to get a home lab put together to begin studying for the CCNA. I can spend $400 and I've found some decent kits on Ebay. I just wanted to get opinions on these. Can anyone recommend a Seller they bought from and had a good experience? I like the idea of the kits, maybe I pay $50 more but I get it all shipped together ready to go.

Comments

• fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Lab Kits aren't recommended, it's better to buy the devices individually instead.
    The kits usualy contain old versions of hws which can't run the IOS 12.4.
  • Vontech615Vontech615 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, a lot of the sellers list that they are running the most up to date IOS and if that weren't true they wouldn't risk their feedback score over it.
  • fsanyeefsanyee Member Posts: 171
    Yes, they do, and I'm sure they wouldn't risk their feedback, but did you check those labs what they offer for $400?
    They offer 29xx XL and 2950 switches with standard image, routers with 8M flash. It's hard to find a good lab kit.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with fsanyee,

You will be much happier buying them individually, the experience alone is worth it. You can research what each router/switch is capable of etc. Which cables you need, its a exciting and part of the learning process
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I third? The previous comments. $400 can get you a pretty decent setup. 2-3 2950 switches (or 2 and a 3550). A router or two (let's say 2610xm), and use GNS3 for more complicated topologies. Guessing about $200 for that - $300 if you include a 3550, and it would be enough to get you through the NP as well.

For what it's worth, I have 3 2950's, a 3550, 2 2610's and a 2610XM.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Many of us have been down this road of lab vs. piece-by-piece. As the guys said general consensus is that many many times the kits are either overpriced or contain very old equipment. No matter what we say at the end of the day the only thing that matters is your perception of value.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The other thing to consider when buying piece-by-piece, they may not have the NM or WIC modules & cables you want or need, so they would have to be purchased separetely as well.
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    Just buy piece by piece.. try buying from matchlesshardware on ebay. All their equipment is fully tested, comes with power cables, rollover cables, they will install the WIC cards you buy into the routers before they ship, their is no password recovery that needs to be done, and they have big warranties on all the equipment. They also have extremely fast (free) shipping and will respond to any messages really fast. They even shipped me a spare power cable when I ordered my equipment. This is the only person I've bought from that actually gives you more than what you see in the picture, lol.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Don't buy pre-made lab kits on ebay.

Be patient, take your time and you can pickup some bargins.

Before christmas I got a 3745 for $42 including p&h, in perfect condition

Suggestion to get started with a lab is use gsn3 for the routers and buy a few good switches
    and take your time getting routers.

You'll probably want a 2600xm with 128MBR 32MBF a nm4a/s and a wic2t, then a few 1721/1751/1760 with wic1t's.
    The 2611xm or 2621xm are better (two fast ethernet) if you can get them.

Can get 2950 switches from $10 , but if you can, get a couple of 3550's (avoid the fx version) or
    better ( 3750 - not cheap)

equipment in this pic - cost me $268(including fuel for pickup)
    e.g http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics-30.html#post598155

I've since sold most of the 2600's (so equipment cost is ~$190) and starting to sell the rest
    3.png

password recovery, ios reinstallation via zmodem etc is part of the fun and learning experience

Don't forget there are a few free labs out there
    Free CCNA Workbook, CCNA Training and CCNA Practice Exam - gets few people using it
    http://packetlife.net - need to book a week or few ahead to get a good time slot
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    see what I mean

Its the wrong city for me (800km south) ;-(
    2x Cisco Routers 2600 2621XM VPN 128D/48F WIC-1T WIC-1B 2x FE Enterprise 12.4 | eBay

Also be-careful of very cheap equipment a month or few after flooding/big storms

This is another reasonable one
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cisco-1760-Router-32FL-64DRAM-CCNA-CCNP-1-x-WIC-1T-/280835001199?pt=AU_Networking&hash=item4163120b6f#ht_1686wt_1642

especically as wic1t's go for around $20 - 25.
    If I had the spare cash I'd get a couple more.

1760's can't be used as frame relay hubs (only two wic slots - other 2 are for voice wics)
    and only have 1 ethernet port unless you install a wic1ent but can run 12.4t and can have up to 144MB ram(192 with 32f model) and 32MB ram(64MB with 32f model).
    32f model has a square with 32f in it on the front.
    They also rack mount nicely.
  • Vontech615Vontech615 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I have to admit some of the terminology is a little over my head at this point since I haven't even opened the CCNA books yet. I'm really trying to start small and work my way into the CCNA labs. So, what I'm looking for is maybe a 2 router 3 switch setup or 2 and 2. I know I'll need more for certain labs but to get started I need to go smaller. I checked out the 2611 XM's. Expensive but nice and I really would like FE if I can get it. What about a couple 2611's and 2 or 3 2950 switch's?
    watch this first before going any further
    CBT Nuggets