Options

books for ccnp

PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just 2 questions,

1.)Read alot of bad reviews for the Switch OCG book on amazon. Is it that bad ?
2.)Would the Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 book by Jeff Doyle help me with the ROUTE exam?

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I passed by reading the OCG book and Chris Bryant's material.

I do remember that the OCG had whole chapters of material that the test didn't even mention. The Chris Bryant material was more accurate.
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks will definitely check out the bryant
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @sharkdiver Good luck on the job hunt! Just curious what kind of experience do you have?
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    dmarcisco,

I have 17 years experience installing, programming, maintaining and troubleshooting business telephone systems for a phone company. In the last 5 years, we have become more data-centric which has led to me being the lead tech in the installation of Cisco routers and switches for Frame-Relay, MPLS and MetroEthernet. I have also recently been the sole tech on the installation of small Cisco phone systems.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @sharkdiver your experience is pretty heavy duty. I asked because I plan on completing the same cert path you completed (ccna:v, ccna:s, ccnp). Just wanted to gauge your experience and compare it with myself. Just to see if once my cert goals are completed if I would be qualified enough to go for a network engineer role. Seems like finding employment for yourself shouldnt be to difficult.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Puffy wrote: »
    Just 2 questions,

1.)Read alot of bad reviews for the Switch OCG book on amazon. Is it that bad ?
    There are several exam topics not covered by that book. You could minimize those disadvantages by reading the author's website, where he's made a laudable effort to cover those remaining topics.

Personally, I used the $10 Kindle edition of "Switching Simplified". It does a good job covering the exam topics.
    2.)Would the Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 book by Jeff Doyle help me with the ROUTE exam?
    I read that a long time ago. It's rare a networking book from a previous century is a good bet for studying, but sure, why not? EIGRP, OSPF, redistribution, filtering, etc. are more or less the same. Just remember that book is focused on only some aspects of routing (don't ignore all the ROUTE topics not covered!) and goes into more depth than necessary at the intermediate level.
  • Options
    TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to know...just picked up the kindle ccnp switch simplified as I have the OCG books.