Options

Failed the MCTS 70-640 :(

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Took the exam and scored a 571. The thing is there were 3 questions with commands on it that were not even in two study guides I used. I checked MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit, and the ExamCram 70-640.

These commands were not even in the text so how is one supposed to know that? Pretty wild, some questions on the exam gave 8 choices which I also think is ridiculous and confusing. Not sure if I am allowed to list what the commands were, so I will not unless I can !

Just cannot see how these were on there..

Comments

• Options
    ronzillaronzilla Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed it today too. I had a lot of options for powershell commands, i thought they were there to throw me off. It is the first time I ever took a cert exam, so I do not feel too bad, but I sure am upset.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear, guys. It's a tough exam. Microsoft has recently changed the exam format. I'd get the exam objectives and lab through them. Practice configuring with the command line and powershell. Technet is a good resource to use.
  • Options
    I know what you mean, I just don't see how they have these commands that aren't even in the study guides!! Ahh. Anyone know a good place where I can purchase/use some good flash cards?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, no guide will have all the commands you may need. I've found with CLI / PowerShell, it's best to just practice them. Once you can visualize them in your head, the right and wrong answers will jump out at you. I would look through Technet and copy down the commands that gave you some trouble.
    For flash cards, try this:
    Free Flashcards Maker: Create Free Online Flash Cards
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    The 640 is one of the tougher MS exams. Like Psoasman said, lab away!!

You'll get it!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    amplifyamplify Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am studying for this now and I am somewhat astounded at the breadth of information covered by this single exam. I haven't had a new cert since MCSE NT 4.0 so I am out of practice with these things but even so, it seems to be quite a test.
  • Options
    method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed it's a ton of information I've been studying for it for quite some time.
  • Options
    92fs92fs Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ronzilla wrote: »
    I failed it today too. ...snip...

Sorry to hear that. I will be taking the exam at the end of the month. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    method115 wrote: »
    Agreed it's a ton of information I've been studying for it for quite some time.

I actually spent about 6 months time working on this cert.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Good luck! You can do it! Don't give up, as I have had to take a cert or two more than once myself
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I actually spent about 6 months time working on this cert.

@ how many hours a week would you say you studied for?
  • Options
    about 20 hours/week.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    about 20 hours/week.

Did you have prior experience as well? I've been studying about 5 months now I feel like in another month I could be ready to take the test. I've been getting in close to 20 hours a week as well.
  • Options
    Some of the material was similar to that I covered in the MCSE, so that helped. These exams are tough, so taking a few months to learn them is a good idea.
  • Options
    Ok cool just trying to get an idea of how long someone with similar experience did on the test. I work with AD rarely at my job but I did go to college and took about 3-4 AD classes all focused on AD. From everything I've read on here the exams are very tough so I've been taking my time with studying not really rushing to take the test.

Those labs you gave me have been great by the way, thanks. Introduced a lot of commands that the mspress didn't even cover.
  • Options
    I am kind of in the same boat. I have limited AD access at work, so I play around with my lab at work. I took some classes during college, as well. That's my one issue with WGU and certs. You are forced to move quicker through the program, while trying to absorb difficult material. For someone starting from scratch, it wouldn't be unreasonable to take a year to do the EA track. Glad those labs helped out, too. :D
  • Options
    Psoasman, could you send labs my way as well? Sounds like they are extremely helpful!!
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently preparing for this exam. Out of curiosity, were you using the 2nd Edition (R2) MSPress book?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Yes. Definitely use the 2nd edition for R2.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I ordered the 2nd Edition set. I was just curious if this missing material was perhaps added in the R2 books. Hopefully the OP can clarify.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    ...So no labs than?
  • Options
    xkaijinx wrote: »
    ...So no labs than?

He might not have them anymore PM your email and I'll forward the email he sent me to you.
  • Options
    xkaijinx wrote: »
    ...So no labs than?

You need to enable Private Messages.
  • Options
    TorontoTechTorontoTech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman,

May you also please forward me the matieral, i've enabled msging from members.

first post ftw.
  • Options
    wdwinn3wdwinn3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman,

I'd also like to get the labs you mentioned if you would be so kind. I'm not sure what a PM is in these forums, but I've enabled Contact Info for Registered Members, vCard Download and Receive Email from Other Members. I don't see where you can find my email address in a profile though. Let me know if I need to change another configuration.

Planning to take my first exam, 70-640, next month or as soon as I get up the courage!

Blessings!
  • Options
    MagaiMagai Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If possible I would like receive these labs also.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    wdwinn3wdwinn3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you know of a set of cards for the 70-640? I searched their site but did not find any that seemed complete.
    I've been using StudyDroid to build my own so I can study when I have a few moments here and there, but it is slow going
  • Options
    REDROKER77REDROKER77 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Psoasman,
    I wanted to know if I could also recieve the labs for 70-640.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    wdwinn3 wrote: »
    Do you know of a set of cards for the 70-640? I searched their site but did not find any that seemed complete.
    I've been using StudyDroid to build my own so I can study when I have a few moments here and there, but it is slow going

Try this. They may have some or you can create your own.

IT Certification & Computers at Free Flash Card Maker by ProProfs
  • Options
    jbetzjbetz Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman,

May you also please forward me the matieral, i've enabled msging from members.

Best Regards,
    jbetz