Passed 70-680!!!

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
So I passed the 70-680 a few hours ago with a 790. I finished in about 50 minutes and had 50 questions. I felt that the test was a bit easier than what I thought it would be and from how most make it sound.

I bought a discount voucher from getcertified4less that was going to expire early so I had less than a month to prepare. I used professor messors site and it free trainging as my main resources. I went through most of the videos on both sites. I read a couple chapters of poultons book but didn't get into that to much. I would say from my experience that those 2 sites where good enough to pass as long as you do a little labbing and know your command line for various things like dism, imagex, usmt, and netsh. I relied on those 2 sites and the experience with imaging at work on a regular basis.

My weakest area was configuring hardware and apps. I got 100% on installing, upgrading and migrating win 7 and also configuring network connectivity. The rest were close but not quite there.

I got a few questions that where off the wall crap that gets thrown in that no one will ever use or run into that tripped me up but that was about it.

If you have any questions let me know and I will help without violating NDA.

Next up? Either one of the MCITP:SA tests as I am going to MMS and get a discount or I may continue with the 70-686 and finish out that before I take one of the SA tests.

Comments

• Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Congrats on the PASS!
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What tools have you been using at work for imaging?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Geronimo wrote: »
    What tools have you been using at work for imaging?

I use WinPE, gimagex (graphical version of imagex), imagex (started using this when i started studying), dism every now and then, and thats pretty much it.
  • pacotacopacotaco Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I picked up the Poulton book thinking that would be mostly what I would use.

Now I definitely need to check out the nesser vids.
    Looking to transfer to WGU to begin Bachelors in IT
  • NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Congrats on the pass! What's next?
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
    FYI for those who may be taking the test soon. Know how to do basic subnetting. You may need it in the test.
    Thanks for the congrats guys. I am not sure what I will do next but either the 70-686 or one of the MCITP:SA exams. I just need to decide quick so I can take it an MMS.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • NamaSayaRubenNamaSayaRuben Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Also, on the comment on subnetting, any resources I could use for this? I remember subnetting during W2K days, I barely remember it anymore.
    I just take the octet that you are dealing with and if its in / notation then I convert it to decimal real quick and subtract it from 256.

Take for instance this example:

you have 192.168.1.102/27 and you need to find a static ip address to assign to a computer. What ip addresses fall within that range that are usable to assign?

/27= 128+64+32=224

256-224=32

Now you have 32 usable hosts on each subnet. No we find out the usable range.

0-31
    32-63
    64-95
    96-127<-- here is your range. You can use anything that isn't 96 or 127 as they are the network and broadcast ip's. This also allows for finding out how many subnets you can have on a segment by continuing out the ranges.

Hope that makes sense.

Also if my method doesn't make sense check out this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

That may help.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and thanks for posting study material!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well done on the pass!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    FYI for those who may be taking the test soon. Know how to do basic subnetting. You may need it in the test.

MS isn't going to be nice and give you a how-many-hosts-in-this-subnet question. In the approximately 2400 live exam questions I have answered across all my MS exams, I have only had one of those. They are going to be more indirect and give a bunch of information, say something isn't working, and it will really be something like the wrong subnet mask was used in a DHCP scope. You will need to go beyond binary math and apply real-world IP troubleshooting to the exam questions.

Oh, and you will need to do that with IPv6 as well as IPv4 - enjoy!
    Claymoore wrote: »
    MS isn't going to be nice and give you a how-many-hosts-in-this-subnet question. In the approximately 2400 live exam questions I have answered across all my MS exams, I have only had one of those. They are going to be more indirect and give a bunch of information, say something isn't working, and it will really be something like the wrong subnet mask was used in a DHCP scope. You will need to go beyond binary math and apply real-world IP troubleshooting to the exam questions.

Oh, and you will need to do that with IPv6 as well as IPv4 - enjoy!

Well I would agree with you on what you said for the server exams that was not the case for me on this exam. It was very basic subnetting that got me what I needed. No troubleshooting for me just a straight up question and answer. Now this is the only one I got like this for the test so I am sure there are some like you said I just didn't run into them.

Also as you said ipv6 knowledge is a must. I learned everything I needed about ipv6 from the messor and itfreetraning videos to pass the test. There could be some off the wall questions that I didn't see so people will need to do a little more digging.
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I would not stress about subnetting for 680 or 685. You may encounter a few questions, but not many. Study troubleshooting for internet connections dealing with IP addresses, default gateway and subnet mask. If there was a bad default gateway listed, then you would need to identify that. There are other areas to focus on for the bulk of the exam, which contain a substantial amount of questions.

Also, be sure to identify loopback address for IPv6 and IPv4.
  • gsmith1308gsmith1308 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the exam! I Googled the 70-680 exam and found your post.

I have Network+, Security+, and I've been studying A+. I was told these are the certs to get for entry level IT jobs.

I interviewed for a helpdesk job at an agency about three weeks ago. Now I've received a job offer from that agency to work in their Helpdesk department. However, they want me to have the 70-680 certification before I start on May 22nd! Since the interview I've watched the IT Free Training videos and Prof Messer. I'm on Chapter 5 of Don Poulton's book.

You wrote that Prof Messer and IT Free Training were all you needed. Does that apply to someone like me? Can a novice concentrate on the videos or do I also need to cram in as much of the Poulton book as possible.

I appreciate any advice you can give me!
    gsmith1308 wrote: »
    Congrats on passing the exam! I Googled the 70-680 exam and found your post.

I have Network+, Security+, and I've been studying A+. I was told these are the certs to get for entry level IT jobs.

I interviewed for a helpdesk job at an agency about three weeks ago. Now I've received a job offer from that agency to work in their Helpdesk department. However, they want me to have the 70-680 certification before I start on May 22nd! Since the interview I've watched the IT Free Training videos and Prof Messer. I'm on Chapter 5 of Don Poulton's book.

You wrote that Prof Messer and IT Free Training were all you needed. Does that apply to someone like me? Can a novice concentrate on the videos or do I also need to cram in as much of the Poulton book as possible.

I appreciate any advice you can give me!

If much of this is new content to you then I would go over the Poulton book as well. Its the deployment that usually gets people because they just don't deal with it all that often where as I do. For me it was easier to pick up that stuff because of that. Good luck on the test and welcome to the forums. I would recommend becoming an active member on here and post questions. There are plenty of people willing to help.