A bit of an off topic question about line voltage

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I woke up this morning to find that one of my UPS devices was running on battery power. I shut it off, unplugged it and plugged it in again and the same thing was still happening. Then my other UPS device started to go onto battery power at times. I hopped on my Linux box and checked the current state of my UPS. According to the line voltage sensor, the voltage is around 136 volts, peaking to 139 volts at times. I tested several outlets throughout my house and I'm getting anywhere from 134 volts to 137 volts. Normal voltage readings are around 120 volts or so. Should a wait for a bit too see if it improves or should I contact my power company ASAP?

Comments

• themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Contact your power company. Your ground/neutral probably got chewed up by a rodent or storm. 140 volts is way too high.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yeah, be careful about what you leave plugged in too. Most electronics can handle a range of voltage, but they can have problems if it stays too far outside of the norm for too long.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll contact them.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check around your home for this:
    white-trash-repairs-what-i-grounded-it-to-earth.jpg
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The power company sent someone out and he determined that the transformer is bad.
  • ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Ahh, more than meets the eye....
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow