Just found out something interesting about e-books...

zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
I buy a lot of books on my Kindle because let's face it, it's much easier to hold one of these up for a couple hours then a 6 pound hardcover. Anyways, one of my more recent purchases was Lammel's 7th edition CCNA book. There was so much reference to the CD, and tests, and labs in the book that I was feeling a little cheated by getting the Kindle edition instead. So I decided to contact the publisher about getting the CD, and low and behold they sent me a download link! All I had to do was upload proof of purchase, and now I have the book + CD, for less than half the price of the print edition!

TLDR: If you buy books on Kindle, the publisher will send you the CD contents... never knew that!

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Really good advice--Thanks!
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Yeh, I think you get this with most ebooks now. Cisco press have a good system, you just create an account, put your purchase code in, then the content is available whenever you want.

On another ebook note, ciscopress do book of the day everyday for 9.99. Pretty good deal, as most books go for $50 or more. Might take awhile for books you want to come on deal (if they ever), but I keep an eye on it everyday, as you get some good ones. :p
    $9.99 eBook Deal of the Day
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's another $9.99 eBook Deal of the Day. You use the same account login info as the CiscoPress site.
    $9.99 eBook Deal of the Day | Pearson IT Certification

Picked up the CCNP Switch & TShoot ebooks! Waitin for the Route to come back around.

hth
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Ah nice, added to favourites! :p
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xbuzz wrote: »
    Yeh, I think you get this with most ebooks now. ...snip...

It says it's watermarked, does it not convert well to Kindle?
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    The watermark is actually a little tag on the lower corner that says "From the library of (your name)". You can download it as a PDF for your Kindle, but I haven't tried to convert one because I have never found a tech book to convert right because of all the carts and diagrams. So yeah, you can load it on your Kindle as a PDF, but the only books I have purchased from the $9.99 deal was a 31 Days Before Your CCENT, and that is easy enough to read on my computer, so that is where it stays. Everything else I try to buy from Amazon only, besides the $9.99 deals, they are cheaper anyways.
  • simonmoonsimonmoon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You get that link plus bonus labs if you email your amazon receipt to the author himself. He offered in this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/65202-todd-lammle-new-7th-edition-bonus-material.html
    As an FYI, I found a free tool that converts from EPUB to MOBI and it works great:

EPUB to MOBI
    Simon, Veritas, thanks for the links, very helpful.
    and thank you. I just picked up the CCDA book.
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    meh I like my hardcover books .. although they do hurt my wallet :D
    Just thought I would mention that for today the Cisco Route book is available. For $10 it's a steal...
    Yeah I saw that too. I am very tempted to get it, but I am a long ways away from CCNP since I haven't even finished my CCNA study. I noticed that the do cycle the same books, some more often then not, so probably I will just stick it out for later.
  • neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    That is great, thanks for sharing, since you have Tood's 7th edition on the kindle how does it look for reading, I'm debating between getting an iPad and getting a kindle to read his book and a couple others on. I've heard its much harder to read the diagrams on the kindle.
    1's and 0's
    Diagrams aren't really that big of a deal on the Kindle. The main problem is text that has a lot of formatting on it. The Lammel book is really good though, everything has been displayed great so far. But some of the Cisco press, like my exploration series books, those can be a little hard to read because the format on the router output doesn't display very well on the Kindle. It's not really that big of a deal though because if I am having a hard time reading something I just pull it up on Kindle PC, and everything looks perfect on that. Before you ever got an IPad, I would say get a Nook Color. My wife has that and it's awesome, and everything displays good on that.