Low-Cost Ways To Show Employees They're Highly Valued

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cool, thanks for sharing...

Flexi-time would be my top one... working in IT, a lot of work can be done after business hours (and that's sometimes preferable) but if something urgent crops up there is always remote desktop... it depends on what kind of job you have I guess.

Even buying me pizza for lunch once a month would make me think they cared a bit more - let's be honest nothing beats a raise... but little things can add up for better employee morale and might make you stay that little bit longer.

Sabbaticals would be the other one - I love to get away for a month at a time, pack a bag, no idea where you will end up, just travel, taking each day as it comes - being able to do that makes me appreciate my current employer much more and when I get back I have a renewed zest for life and am happier because of it...

The guy in my signature - Jim Rohn - in his DVD "How to have your best year ever" which I highly, highly recommend BTW (it beats any free seminar I have ever been to, hands down well worth the money) - he says in the past people would work for 9 years and take 1 year off to contemplate the last 9 years... what you learned, what you could do better etc. - not that we can all take a year off these days, but being able to take some time off from work and still have my job means a lot to me...
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Two types of organizations I will not work for, at all, ever, period:
    1. No flex time -- If I have to take PTO to deal with occasional business-hour need such as a dentist appointment, that's a nonstarter. Especially in this line of work, where my salaried jobs have always been of a nature that I work way more than 40 hours a week and there's no reason my work needs to be during business hours or even done at the office.
    2. No coffee -- if there isn't a coffee pot, constant stock of coffee, and mugs or cups, that's not the environment for me.

Something I think every company should offer is tuition and certification reimbursement. I'm not saying it has to be full, 100% reimbursement with no restrictions. But nothing at all says to me "We don't care if you better yourself as an employee and a professional in your field. We just want you to do the job you do now exactly as you do it now." No thanks.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Free massages once a week? Sign me up!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ptilsen wrote: »
    No coffee -- if there isn't a coffee pot, constant stock of coffee, and mugs or cups, that's not the environment for me.

Really? So, if you ever had a dream job, (salary, benefits, flex-time, whatever) and the ONLY stipulation was no (free) coffee, that's really a dealbreaker?

You sound like those MS employees I had to write about who b----ed about the lack of towel service at the gym in their complex. Heaven-forbid they just bring their own from home.........
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    The flexibility I have here cannot be beat and would be hard to sacrifice if I was offered a job with more pay (while knowing the total lack of flexibility would exist there.) We've hired 4 new people in the last few months and I tell them upfront, that they are more fortunate than they realize to have gotten these jobs.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Really? So, if you ever had a dream job, (salary, benefits, flex-time, whatever) and the ONLY stipulation was no (free) coffee, that's really a dealbreaker?

You sound like those MS employees I had to write about who b----ed about the lack of towel service at the gym in their complex. Heaven-forbid they just bring their own from home.........
    Okay, I guess I could bring my own coffee if the job were otherwise incredible, but I really would need at least the ability to make or quickly acquire coffee at work. I don't care that much if I have to buy it myself -- It just needs to be available in some fashion.

My intent was not to imply I'm demanding of amenities -- just that I really, really like and need coffee. A 15-minute shorter commute alone would easily replace free coffee for me since I could make my own at home with the time and money saved on the commute.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Flex time would be awesome, I am used to having it at past jobs but my current one does not have it. Mainly I need it for appointments for my son and or myself (dentist,doctor,etc).
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Free massages once a week? Sign me up!

I was offered a massage for fixing someone's phone at work. I kindly declined thinking it was a bit weird then found out that she was the works masseuse!
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    My GF went to school for massage therapy. Has the table and everything. Too bad her skills are not getting put to use.

I would sure like my company to help with my student loans I'm paying every month. They do offer tuition reimbursment, but not tuition forgiveness...bummer.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would love flex time but; more money would be even better. Yeah, I believe tuition reimbursement/loan forgiveness would be better than more pay at this point for me if possible.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Otherwise known as the list of things I'll never see at my current role :D
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lets see, we have:

1. Flex time (not me though).

3. Monthly commuter benefits.

5. Wellness benefits.

8. Parental leave

12. Optional telecommuting. (not in my department though icon_sad.gif)

14. Flexibility in paid time off.

15. A culture of work/life balance.

17. Cultural extras.

18. Sabbaticals (unpaid).

21. Gift matching.

22. Adoption assistance.

26. Paid time off to volunteer.

Tuition reimbursment.

We also have a sick child facility, if your child is ill you can bring them with you and they will be cared for by R.N.'s. I think there may be a cost to that.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Lets see...

1. Full cert and training paid for up front no reimbursement + All you can eat training
    2. PTO to study before exams (up to 2 days)
    3. 20 days PTO a year
    4. Flex time for appointments which dont go against PTO
    5. 401K Match, AD&D Life INsurance up to 4x your salary and optional insurance at dollars a week
    6. 80% paid by the employer health benefits
    7. Corporate CC for expenses
    8. Generous mileage reimbursement if company car(s) arent available
    9. Paid for Iphone for both work and personal
    10. Work life balance - family first
    11. Free home telephone service
    12. Home internet reimbursement $40/month

OH and!! ... Hourly Employee(s) paid weekly!

Just to name a few - pretty much a sweet deal no matter what. Small <500 employees family owned MSP/Telecom place - best move I ever made.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    drkat wrote: »
    Lets see...

1. Full cert and training paid for up front no reimbursement + All you can eat training
    2. PTO to study before exams (up to 2 days)
    3. 20 days PTO a year
    4. Flex time for appointments which dont go against PTO
    5. 401K Match, AD&D Life INsurance up to 4x your salary and optional insurance at dollars a week
    6. 80% paid by the employer health benefits
    7. Corporate CC for expenses
    8. Generous mileage reimbursement if company car(s) arent available
    9. Paid for Iphone for both work and personal
    10. Work life balance - family first
    11. Free home telephone service
    12. Home internet reimbursement $40/month

OH and!! ... Hourly Employee(s) paid weekly!

Just to name a few - pretty much a sweet deal no matter what. Small <500 employees family owned MSP/Telecom place - best move I ever made.

Dr

Things have sure picked up! That's great brother cheers!
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Hey N2IT - definitely has I no longer feel the way I did in my "Career in Desktop Support" thread. Fantastic stuff... Taking the CCNA tomorrow at noon - I'll keep ya'll updated
    drkat wrote: »
    Hey N2IT - definitely has I no longer feel the way I did in my "Career in Desktop Support" thread. Fantastic stuff... Taking the CCNA tomorrow at noon - I'll keep ya'll updated

Please do we are pulling for you!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    the flowers and gift cards to the SO goes a looong way
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Forget all these things, all i require are.

A simple thank you when I do something in my own time to benefit the company, or our clients.
    Understanding if I have personal/sickness issues (me or my family)
    A bit of flexibility for the unforeseen things that crop up.

I look at it really simple, i am paid to work, so for 8 hours a day I will work flat out for the benefit of my company, because I want to work in a company I am proud to work in. Out side of the core hours I will also work when I see fit in my own time for the benefit of the company.

We don't have flexi time as standard at our company, but as my boss said to me, "don't mind what hours you do in the office, you show you do the work and more"

Having said that our company is a great place to work with loads of benefits, but they don't put down things like Flexi time, home working, becasue they belive that some benefits you have to earn, demonstrate you can be trusted to work at home, then by all means they will let you, and will throw in the cost of your internet.

My view is if the company requires you to do some thing that puts you out of pocket (travel for example) then the company should sort it out and give you the money back. Other benefits should be earn't, I say this sitting on my bed as I am working from home today :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Forget all these things, all i require are.

A simple thank you when I do something in my own time to benefit the company, or our clients.
    Understanding if I have personal/sickness issues (me or my family)
    A bit of flexibility for the unforeseen things that crop up.

I'm with you on that one. A simple "thank you for a job well done" means more to me than any of that other stuff.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one. A simple "thank you for a job well done" means more to me than any of that other stuff.

Both of your bosses visit this board? Scoring some brownie points? haha.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tackle wrote: »
    Both of your bosses visit this board? Scoring some brownie points? haha.

I bloody well hope he don't cause I slagged him of on here before. ;)

And who said it was my boss who had to be the one saying thank you?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Lets see, we have:

1. Flex time (not me though).

3. Monthly commuter benefits.

5. Wellness benefits.

8. Parental leave

12. Optional telecommuting. (not in my department though icon_sad.gif)

14. Flexibility in paid time off.

15. A culture of work/life balance.

17. Cultural extras.

18. Sabbaticals (unpaid).

21. Gift matching.

22. Adoption assistance.

26. Paid time off to volunteer.

Tuition reimbursment.

We also have a sick child facility, if your child is ill you can bring them with you and they will be cared for by R.N.'s. I think there may be a cost to that.

T the sick child facility is wonderful. We have utilized it quite often.

I agree these benefits are awesome. Hopefully I can make that transition soon ;)
    N2IT wrote: »
    T the sick child facility is wonderful. We have utilized it quite often.

I agree these benefits are awesome. Hopefully I can make that transition soon ;)

I'm starting to better understand why people live in Rochester and not the cities. Mayo Clinic sounds like a great employer. (Obviously I can understand why medical professionals choose to work there, regardless of the amenities.)
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I'm starting to better understand why people live in Rochester and not the cities. Mayo Clinic sounds like a great employer. (Obviously I can understand why medical professionals choose to work their, regardless of the amenities.)

I have my wife to thank I am merely a contractor. She is a critical care RN.

It's a good full time consultant position and gives me flexibility to work nights and weekends at my other gig remotely.

My end goal is to get on as a FTE in a project coorindator position or business analyst. That's the dream at least!
  • dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    It's interesting that just these small things definitely keep up morale and help to make an employee happy.

Flex time is definitely needed in this line of work. There are many times where we work a full 40... then have to do projects before or after our "scheduled" time to be in... I've spent many nights working until 12am or 1am (my standard shift was 7-4)... it is nice to be able to know that I can have more flexibility during my shift hours for doctor appts. (especially the last year that I worked).

Also, hearing a "thank you" or "job well done" once a week or so... is VERY good for morale. It helps employees know that you appreciate them. I happened to be VERY loyal to my last company... because my boss praised me quite a bit... and not just to me... but the C-level's and other people as well. Although I had to fight for my bonus... and never got a raise... I felt very loyal to them....

In contrast... my boss at my current company used to berate me in front of everyone... (even if it's COMPLETELY out of my control) and it made morale sink quite a bit... not just for me... but everyone else who saw the work that I actually did... and appreciated it. That turned around when I got sick... and they REALLY stepped up and helped me out...
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »

I work at a printer (NOT AN IT job), but I’m looking for an IT job.

Here are our benefits, which seem to be eroding

We used to have a pension, but it got cut off due to high cost…. Now they have 401k match, but they will only match after you have been with the company for 5 years, and it’s up to 5%.

We have discounts with up to 20 or 40 venders, but’s 15% off here , or 20% off this or that, no big deal discounts. I know we have cell discounts, I never used it though.

We have some sort of life insurance benefit, which I never signed up for, but I know there are a lot of people at work that say they use it.

We have coffee, but it tastes like tar, so you will need a lot of creamer and sugar..ahahaha

We don’t have any BBQs or Picnics. We used to, but ever since we got bought buy a bigger printer, our benefits and parties have slowly been eroding. We used to have a Christmas party, but the company that bought us out stopped sponsoring those.

My biggest reward, is that one of the operators I work with buys everyone a pop, if the machine runs good. I know that sounds silly, but it does feel good to get a pop( as a way of saying thank you) for all the hard work we are doing.

Beyond all my complaints it is a good company to work for, and I’m thankful I have a job.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    I get about half of those listed -- yet still feel like there should be more! lol
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Today was thirsty thursday at my company. Free wine, beer and snacks. Had to bail to go wash the car. OCD sucks. Yes, I love cars more than beer.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 252 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I forgot to add I.T. certification training for whatever your choice and allot for twice an year plus add -on exam cost on; first try only. I think I have added everything I thought was useful.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Geez I wish I had little of the articles and drkat's list..I dont even think my job even offers a third on that list =\

Good read though