Options

Is Virtualization when used on a commercial scale the same as VMWare?

listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
What I mean is that - I use Oracle Virtual Box, the freebie. Is this a million miles away from understanding how to make virtual servers? What do you guys think?

Reason I ask is because it is a qualificaiton that seems to be very much in demand - and understanding Orcale would be a good place to start.

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The big dog in virtualization is VMware. Xen is pretty popular as well. Easy way to check which technology is popular in your area is to do a job search.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    listerlister Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's for that - def good way to gauge is by checking the jobs currently out there in my area
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oracle VirtualBox is not really used at a commercial scale for server virtualization, and is not directly comparable to the major hypervisor platforms in this area (VMware vSphere, Citrix XenServer, and Microsoft Hyper-V). Oracle does have its own server virtualization platform called Oracle VM, but it is not comparable to or based on VirtualBox (it is based on open-source Xen), and has minimal market share. However, if you understand VirtualBox, then you should be familiar with the fundamentals of virtualization, which is helpful for learning purposes.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV