Theft!

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay, so I'm just going to rant for a few minutes.

Someone broke into my car a couple of nights ago and stole my Cisco UC320, Cisco PoE switch and 10 deskphones. They also stole: my gum, my auxiliary cable, my pocket knife, my sun glasses and my company fuel card.

Now I understand on the Cisco equipment, but the other items? That's just pathetic.

I contacted the police and made a report, though I don't think it's going to go down well since we wrote Sysco on his paper. I gave them the serial number to my UC320, so hopefully it'll show up somewhere. I had already had it all configured and ready to go, but nooo, someone just had to take it. Darn them!

I just wish I would have caught them stealing it.

Now, what they didn't take. 5 desktops, 4 laptops, a $500 drill. My TOOL KIT!! Which WAS in the back seat, but they moved it to the front seat. I have over $2,000 worth of equipment just in that bag alone. A security camera (how ironic), a spool of 1000' audio/video cable, a Cisco 1841, 5 air cards with unlimited data on them - already activated, too. Guess they didn't want to look in the trunk? It's an SUV, so it's not like they couldn't see it.

Ugh. I've been looking on eBay and craigslist but nothing has come up yet. Chances are slim that they'll show up.

On a good note, they attempted to use my company fuel card and it's now blocked, hopefully they can pinpoint which gas station they tried to use it. I want to catch these pathetic rodents!

I can't believe that people go around doing this.

In one of my college classes (I can't remember what class it was) the teacher asked "What is envy and is it positive or negative?" Someone raised their hand and said (and I kid you not) "Yeh, envy is where someone makes a lot of money and has a lot of nice stuff - and they deserve to have things taken and stolen from them"

Just my little rant on this wonderful Friday.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Man, I am sorry to hear this. This crap has been happening in and around my neighborhood for the last 2 years. I think these low life scums target the nicer neighborhoods. We can't leave anything in our cars. I have worked hard for what I have, and it just pisses me off when this crap happens. If they ever break into my house...I will be glad to introduce them to my .357icon_cool.gif
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    My 1st thought... WTF were you doing with all that stuff in your car?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    now that really sucks
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • NewManSoonNewManSoon Banned Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone want to buy a Cisco UC320? :)

You should post on craigslist for your area, a list of the stolen stuff.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NewManSoon wrote: »
    Anyone want to buy a Cisco UC320? :)

good idea! post looking to buy cisco gear and arrange the meet with the cops
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    My 1st thought... WTF were you doing with all that stuff in your car?
    I was taking it to be installed the next day. I had got home at 9pm, locked the car and was leaving at 4am the next day. I NEVER have anything in my car.

I just can't believe that they stole my sun glasses and my gum. Pathetic.
    CCNP R/S
    NewManSoon wrote: »

That's exactly what I thought of doing - maybe someone will take the bait?
    CCNP R/S
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    what kinda gum? that couldve been the reason to start them they saw the other stuff and said while im here..
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    5 spearmint - thing is, before I got out of the garage I was like, oh sheet, I forgot to brush my teeth (I also have a toothbrush at work), I better have some gum to freshen up. Opened my door. PHUCK.
    CCNP R/S
  • snakeuptilitsnakeuptilit Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you should definitely make a craigslist post asking to buy the items stolen, don't make it too obvious. also post what you will buy them for(make it more than what they're worth, not too much though) If someone takes the bait, ask for the serial before the meet, good luck.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been in your shoes way too many times. I hope you get your stuff back but I doubt it. Only thing the cops will do is plug your equipment into a database tied to pawn shops and wait for a hit.

I think I finally learned my lesson to not keep anything in car after three thefts:

1.) forgot to lock driver's side door (manual locks) and a police laptop was stolen...never found.

2.) showed my pressure wasing equipment to one person and it was inside a 7 foot security fence inside a trailer. After not making a deal because they didn't want the trailer, it was stolen the next day. The guy was then advertising pressure washing on CL. The gate was not relocked by my friends. Trailer was not locked. Not having the serial number made it worse. Even though I could prove it because I could get the serial number, cops couldn't do anything because of his personal rights.

3.) Truck was stolen from Embassey Suites parking lot. New rims, radio, 2 laptops, kindle, clothes all stolen.

Lesson learned: Never leave anything in the car. Get locking lugs nuts, look at security alarms for the times you have to leave something valueable in the car. Get renter's insurance.

I did get the car back and the radio and rims were almost covered but not having renter's insurance hurt me since auto does not cover personal items. After all deductibles, car rental, etc I was out severl 1000.00's.

Most likely it was some young highschool kids poping locks and grabbing anything they could within minutes and could take on foot.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Sorry to hear that. I've had my car broken into few times. Knock on wood that I haven't since I moved to a nicer part of town. When I first start driving every kid in the neighborhood knew my car and lets say I wasn't very popular. Slashed tires, torn seats, broken windows. Didn't have a garage and being broke I couldn't afford an alarm.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    That's some serious BS. Even in "safer" neighborhoods in SoCal, there seems to be an increase in robbery, as I think the economy is obviously having an effect and people get bit needy at times.

I am sorry to hear about that! And it's some hardcore BS that they stole the random other items!!

I once had my storage locker broken into in my carport in a supposed really safe neighborhood in SoCal. The weirdest thing is, they didn't take almost anything, let alone the valuable items.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I never leave anything of value visible in my car. Even my bluetooth speaker on my visor. Unfortunately, it sounds like you practically invited them. icon_sad.gif

Going to side with some of the others here to keep an eye out on CL or post yourself wanting to buy.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Somebody broke into our house last year while we were with our son who was sick in the hospital. They stole the stupidest crap. They tool the 300 dollar Dell netbook but didn't take the 2K Alienware laptop that was right next to it. They stole my wife's iPod nano but not the iPod touch next to it. Police figured it was kids.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely sucks, but let the insurance pay for the stuff and move on. You don't know what types stole it and putting yourself in a dangerous situation isn't worth the price of the equipment. I once took my car for tires and the guy stole a piece of gum. How did I know? He wasn't bright enough to take a piece from the side I was pulling from (was one of those 50 piece packs). Best part is, if he would have asked, I would have said enjoy!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I worked at big box retailer, I left my bass guitar in my old Crown Vic and I had it stolen. I filled a report with the police, and they pretty much didn’t care. After that incident I learned to never leave valuables in my car.

Another story

The gym I got to we have locker’s that use our member card as a lock, and you pull out the key after inserting your gym card. Well some of the gym members leave their stuff in the locker and they don’t lock the locker, or insert they key. Not just any old stuff, but nice business clothes, shoes, ties ect.ect. After trying to use a few of these lockers, only to find stuff in them, I mentioned something to one of the employees. He said it happens a lot and he just brings the stuff in these lockers to the front desk for safe keeping. Then he told me that the gym members get angry when he brings their stuff to the front desk. I guess they want their stuff stolen.

Being IT guys, we often forget about physical security, and focus mostly on computer and internet security.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I once had a water bottle to a larva lamp stole out of my car, the only thing and worth about £5!!! broke the door lock to get it!!

Tat car got broken in to three times!! I dont leave any thing in my car I would be sad to go missing. in fact I would be happy if the stole the dam car ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.