Options

70-648 upgrade or can I sit them separate & still upgrade my 2k3 mcsa

celtic_tigerceltic_tiger Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All

My question is straight forward, I have an mcsa 2003, I wish to upgrade to server administrator starting with the 70-648. I dont think I can hold the content of both exams 70-640 & 70-642 (which is the requirements for 70-64icon_cool.gif in my head for the exam and would rather sit them 1 at a time despite the added expense but would I still avail of the upgrade status if I were to do so??

I dont see it clearly stated online if I can do this, anyone in the know?

Thanks for reading

Celtic

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi All

My question is straight forward, I have an mcsa 2003, I wish to upgrade to server administrator starting with the 70-648. I dont think I can hold the content of both exams 70-640 & 70-642 (which is the requirements for 70-64icon_cool.gif in my head for the exam and would rather sit them 1 at a time despite the added expense but would I still avail of the upgrade status if I were to do so??

I dont see it clearly stated online if I can do this, anyone in the know?

Thanks for reading

Celtic

I would do the exams separately. 640 > 642 > 646. There is a lot of new material, especially for Server 2008 R2. You could also do the 648 and 646 exams to get the SA cert.

Systems Administrator| MCSA | Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
  • Options
    This is the plan but Im not sure if the exams if sat individually like this give the same credential. Is the only benifit of having an mcsa on 2k3 mean you have the choice of sitting 2 exams in one test instead of separately? thats it?

Thanks
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The choice is yours: Doing the upgrade exam will save you 1 exam and $150.00. So, 648 +646 = MCITP:SA
    I feel the 640 > 642 > 646 route will be better, as you will probably learn more. Upgrade exams can be difficult as they compress a lot of the material.
  • Options
    HandyManHandyMan Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also MCSA in W2003 and I am doing 640; 642; 646 separately as there is just so much content and I'm looking to seriously learn this stuff not just pass the exams.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While there's nothing holding you back from taking 640 and 642, in my opinion it would be pretty absurd to do so. While taking 648 will indeed test that you know what is more or less the equivalent of 640 and 642, it does not test the exact same material. It primarily tests on differences between 2003's 70-290 and 291 content, with some scope changes reflective of technology and Microsoft strategic changes. If you still remember even a bit from your MCSA tests, you should have no problem taking out 648.

Honestly, don't approach it as 640 and 642 glued together. Approach it as one cert. I can assure you it is much easier than 643, and I personally spent less time on 648 than I did on 680 (Windows 7).
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I have a clearer picture now. Suppose it depends on your level of experience which exam you should go for and how recently you sat the 2k3 mcsa. For me was 2008 I sat the mcsa so a lot of stuff has faded. At least I know I can go either way. Ill do the material once see how I get on with practice tests before deciding.

Thanks v much all.
  • Options
    TrueliesTruelies Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Psoasman, the upgrade exam can be really difficult... I will never forget the lesson learned with 70-292, here it is: "never and ever do any upgrade exam"

Just my 2 eurocents icon_wink.gif
    Ciao!