Options

Got a new job! (I think) How to kill time waiting for the offer?

After my last few posts about how I didn't really think my current job was going to last much longer I started looking hard. Lucky me a very good company called me up, interviewed me, rushed me in for a 2nd interview and as far as I know I have the job. It's one of those things where the hiring manager can't say "Yes you got the job" until the offer is officially made. I was hoping that it was going to happen today but just got word paperwork won't be done till next week sometime. It's just killing me... I already told me boss I was leaving (which I don't really care if some how I don't get the new job and I loose my current one). What to do to kill the time? I know that my house needs a serious spring cleaning... I do want to see Silent House or another movie. Any ideas?
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats!

Don't slack off or "burn any bridges" with the job you're leaving. I know it's tough, I turned in my notice almost 2 weeks ago, and don't start my new job for another 2 weeks. I've been keeping busy with work at my current job though, even though I really don't feel like it and just can't wait to start my new job.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Well being my paychecks have been bouncing I figure it's time to jump ship anyway.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Well being my paychecks have been bouncing I figure it's time to jump ship anyway.

PaycheckS? Multiple?

*Edit* I'm in a similar situation, not the paycheck part, but the new job part.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mass Effect 3 came out!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    House cleaning is good. Studying for certifications is good. Mass Effect 3 is good. Consulting is good.

Oh, file a formal complaint with MN Department of Labor regarding non-payment of your work. (651) 284-5005 or 1-800-DIAL-DL
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Yikes, maybe you need to take some servers home with you. :P
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Everyone wrote: »
    Yikes, maybe you need to take some servers home with you. :P

"All our VMs just went offline" Hey where'd the SAN go? IMHO
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486

Yeah, I doubt I'd bother with a 2 weeks notice there. Jump ship and have enjoy your new job (assuming you get it)!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□

Lol, is that for real?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What type of work do you currently and what is the new title?
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Lol, is that for real?

He's quite serious, and frankly I'm not surprised. His employer is not suited to run a business in this industry -- or at all, for that matter.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen is right... Anyways, I got an email this morning. The place is planning on hiring me and having me start ASAP. Only thing is that an existing employee in another department decided to apply this morning for the position. The hiring manager is going to interview him tomorrow and hopefully he said talk him out of it. If not, I'm SOL on it. I'm still 99.9 sure I got it but this hiccup sucks. Sorta of the same thing happened to me last year. Had a great phone interview, had a great in person interview. Manager said that I was everything he was looking for. Found out that he interviewed someone exactly like me but with a just tad more experience in the field. Lost the job because of it.

I know I shouldn't of got my hopes up and already started planning for the new job BUT I really needed this. Have my wedding coming up in May, in the middle of a remodel project on my house that has not gone to plan one bit and more. Oh well back to waiting, hopefully everything goes good tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You would have never gotten an email at all if you weren't going to get hired. Only reason I'd be wrong is if that company's culture is truly dysfunctional. However, it would be a LARGE improvement over your current situation...
  • Options
    Thanks! Entered salary negotiations today. I got the job now just need to hammer the details out.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Thanks! Entered salary negotiations today. I got the job now just need to hammer the details out.
    Congrats!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Play World of Warcraft till your eyes bleed or plant a garden.
  • Options
    briandy81 wrote: »
    Play World of Warcraft till your eyes bleed or plant a garden.

I actually ended up playing like 10 hours of BF3 last weekend.

As for what the job is... I am going to be the new Installation Manager for a company that makes automated book drops for libraries. I'll get to use my hands putting stuff in but there is a lot of technical back-end stuff like RFID/bar-code scanners. Get to travel a bit and they have very good benefits when traveling. It'll be taking me away from a sole IT job and my real goal of network engineering BUT I'll be able to put everything I have learned in the last 15 years to very good use. Plus they have a nice incentive package for continuing education. Going to start the new WGU Masters in May. Might as well put the time I'll be spending in a hotel room to good use.

After I finish the Masters and CCNP my goal is to get my BSEE from NDU. With a masters all I'll have to do is the core classes so like 1-2 semesters. That is my 2 to 4 year goal plan. If I complete it my reward is an online MSEE program. It all works towards my 10 year plan of making 100k by 40, and hopefully partially retiring by 45. By that I mean be able to completely support my family working from home as an consultant.

Ok my rant is over, just felt like sharing.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I actually ended up playing like 10 hours of BF3 last weekend.

As for what the job is... I am going to be the new Installation Manager for a company that makes automated book drops for libraries. I'll get to use my hands putting stuff in but there is a lot of technical back-end stuff like RFID/bar-code scanners. Get to travel a bit and they have very good benefits when traveling. It'll be taking me away from a sole IT job and my real goal of network engineering BUT I'll be able to put everything I have learned in the last 15 years to very good use. Plus they have a nice incentive package for continuing education. Going to start the new WGU Masters in May. Might as well put the time I'll be spending in a hotel room to good use.

After I finish the Masters and CCNP my goal is to get my BSEE from NDU. With a masters all I'll have to do is the core classes so like 1-2 semesters. That is my 2 to 4 year goal plan. If I complete it my reward is an online MSEE program. It all works towards my 10 year plan of making 100k by 40, and hopefully partially retiring by 45. By that I mean be able to completely support my family working from home as an consultant.

Ok my rant is over, just felt like sharing.

Congrats! but I have to say do not stray to far away from your dream / goals . If your real goal is networking make sure you get EXP in it because regardless of the certifications / education you wont land a high end network engineering job with just that. I made the painful mistake of not following my dream (networking) right off the bat and I realized I could have 3 years networking experience in a NOC environment if I did.
  • Options
    So month later... I'm unemployed again. Got fired this morning. Job ended up be more physical than anticipated and my back couldn't take it. I was fired on the grounds that I didn't disclose my back issues in the interview process. So really screwed if I did and if I didn't. I've come to learn that if I say anything about my back in an interview I get shown the door and my resume goes in the trash. Oh well... back to finding work.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I was fired on the grounds that I didn't disclose my back issues in the interview process.
    Did they state heavy lifting requirement during the hiring process?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs