Options

Want outsiders perspective.

NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
I posted this on another thread but it was a couple pages in....

So I sent my resume to a private luxury hotel company yesterday morning for an I.T. Manager position. Yesterday afternoon HR called me and we did the usual 1st interview steps. Although there were actually some tech questions being asked by HR. Everything went well. Later yesterday afternoon HR called me and wanted to schedule a Skype interview with the Director of I.T. We had the Skype interview this morning. It couldn't have went any better, imo. At the end of the interview the Director asked me if I was still interested and wants to bring me in to meet the Owner(s) of the company early next week.

Apparently they have had a lot of previous applicants that they were not pleased with, HR lady told me.

What do you guys think? Am I in?
WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a good sign!

Now is using Skype the norm because now I feel foolish because I have never used it before. Lol
  • Options
    I have seen/heard people wanting to Skype. It's convenient for both sides I guess. I Skyped from my phone so it was really convenient.

WGU -

• Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    It definitely sounds promising and maybe it's just my cynical nature but until you have an offer letter in your hand I wouldn't necessarily count on anything.
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Very good signs.

They probably have it narrowed down to just one or two people at this point.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Very good signs.

They probably have it narrowed down to just one or two people at this point.

Agree with this. It sounds like you are in a good position to land the gig.

@tpatt Skype is becoming the norm. I have had 2 interviews via Skype in the last 6 months. My friend just had one the other day and the OP in this threat had one. It's being leveraged quite a bit from what I can tell.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never done a skype interview. Are you guys putting on suits(or just suit tops :)) for a skype interview?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never done a skype interview. Are you guys putting on suits(or just suit tops :)) for a skype interview?

That is so funny you mention that. I'll admit Adidas soccer shorts and a suit top. no lie
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    That is so funny you mention that. I'll admit Adidas soccer shorts and a suit top. no lie

LMAO....I laughed like I did when reading about the man with a 9 page resume.

WGU -

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I have done Skype interviews from my living room through my HDTV as it has built-in Skype functionality.
  • Options
    Meeting has been scheduled with Owners and VP of HR this Friday morning. icon_thumright.gif

WGU -

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    That's a good sign!

Now is using Skype the norm because now I feel foolish because I have never used it before. Lol

I haven't used Skype in a long time. Most of the time if I have to video chat it's Google. I have to admit that I would be tempted to see how dressed down I could get like N2IT. Must be an geek thing... ;)
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    Meeting has been scheduled with Owners and VP of HR this Friday morning. icon_thumright.gif

Good luck, I hope it goes well!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Apparently they are interested in you, so if I were you I would be very happy. I also didnt know about skype interviews these days...
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    techinthewoodstechinthewoods Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□

Congrats. Sounds like the job is yours as long as you don't have a psychotic episode while meeting the owners. :)

Side note: I've been planning to get set up for skype interviews and had no idea I needed a camera for that. I thought it was just microphone for voice. That would have been embarrassing.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Per Skype, I remember being on the Interviewer side. We were looking for another member to bring on the sys admin team at my last job- this candidate (who eventually we hired) was in Iraq at the time as a defense contractor. We did 2 Skype interviews and a job offer. He started work a week after he returned from Iraq. Worked out well for us- great guy.

And good luck this Friday!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Yeah, Skype is a great way to get a better idea of who you're dealing with. It saves the company and the candidate the time of visiting the office if it ultimately won't work out.
    Congrats. Sounds like the job is yours as long as you don't have a psychotic episode while meeting the owners. :)

Side note: I've been planning to get set up for skype interviews and had no idea I needed a camera for that. I thought it was just microphone for voice. That would have been embarrassing.

LMAO will do my best to avoid a "psychotic episode!" To your other comment, Skype can be used without a camera, but it sorda defeats the purpose. Like I said earlier I just used my phone(Galaxy S2) and sat in my car.

**Fingers crossed for Friday!!

WGU -

• Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139

How did it go??? well I hope:D
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Holy crap! This sounds great! Congratz! Did you get it? It sounded really positive IMHO.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    How did it go??? well I hope:D

Interview went great. Had one more interview with the East Coast Operations C.O.O. That was on the 23rd, and they said they expected to make a final decision in approximately 2 weeks. 2 weeks would've been this past Friday. I'm starting to wonder a little bit now. I just would like an answer either way, lol. Fingers are still crossed!

icon_neutral.gif

*Edit - 4 interviews total.

WGU -

• Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Perhaps ping them in a couple of days?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Perhaps ping them in a couple of days?

I actually sent a brief follow up email yesterday morning. Received an "out of office M-T-W" reply from the lady in HR. So I hope to hear from them today.

WGU -

• Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Sounds like it went well, but you're not "in" until you signed your papers and offer letter.

Edit: Just read your last post... I would do a follow up call/email.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    Sponx wrote: »
    Sounds like it went well, but you're not "in" until you signed your papers and offer letter.

Edit: Just read your last post... I would do a follow up call/email.

Well I sent a follow up email yesterday morning.

WGU -

• Options
    Keep us updated!
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Network+, Security+
  • Options
    Good luck. Hopefully you get the good news today or tomorrow! Have they told you the salary range yet? I'm getting real frustrated with most job listings these days refusing to disclose the salary range.
  • Options
    Good luck. Hopefully you get the good news today or tomorrow! Have they told you the salary range yet? I'm getting real frustrated with most job listings these days refusing to disclose the salary range.

Agreed.

Network+, Security+
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□

Actually there is worse... Been through an interview marathon with company X .. From day #1 we were clear about a certain salary. I had a total of 5 interviews which ranges from senior colleagues, to team leader, line manager, all the way to the CTO and CIO .. That was just hard and took three months from start to finish (first phone interview to first day at work) ...

Now knowing what we talked about salary X - only while I was waiting for the contract, HR contacted the agency with a lower number. It took a few mails back and forth to finally meet in the middle.

So what do you do ? Leave it after that marathon ? Of course not .. I wanted the job so I've signed up ..

THAT is the most annoying part to be honest, because it seems to happening with every single application ...

A lot of agencies give salary ranges, knowing fairly well that the job is actually for the lower range .. and everybody knows that ... but talking clear numbers and pull back just annoys me .. let's face it, you won't see a contract until the very last stage so all you got until then are promises..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Any news yet?

I hate to point out that today is Friday the 13th.... so perhaps it's better if you don't hear from them until Monday. :)
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Actually there is worse... Been through an interview marathon with company X .. From day #1 we were clear about a certain salary. I had a total of 5 interviews which ranges from senior colleagues, to team leader, line manager, all the way to the CTO and CIO .. That was just hard and took three months from start to finish (first phone interview to first day at work) ...

Now knowing what we talked about salary X - only while I was waiting for the contract, HR contacted the agency with a lower number. It took a few mails back and forth to finally meet in the middle.

So what do you do ? Leave it after that marathon ? Of course not .. I wanted the job so I've signed up ..

THAT is the most annoying part to be honest, because it seems to happening with every single application ...

A lot of agencies give salary ranges, knowing fairly well that the job is actually for the lower range .. and everybody knows that ... but talking clear numbers and pull back just annoys me .. let's face it, you won't see a contract until the very last stage so all you got until then are promises..

Yes, that is some BS. Ideally, it would be nice to tell them you aren't interested in the bait and switch on the salary, and hang up the phone. Wait and see if they call back. But in reality, it's hard to walk away from a decent opportunity, especially in these times.
  • Options
    Any update? Fingers still crossed for you.