Options

MiS vs. CiS. vs. IT majors

jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, been reading this article from http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/college-majors-that-put-women-on-equal-footing-with-men.

Can someone explain the difference between a MIS vs. a CIS vs. a IT major? Thanks for the explanation!

Comments

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MIS and CIS tend to be about the same. Many colleges offer one or the other. They tend to tied to the college of business. You tend to take the general business classes, some programming class and some computer classes.

IT degrees tend to be from another college. Mine was College of Information. You tend to take more computer classes like database, web design, programming, networking and some soft skill classes.

Computer Science degrees get more into the engineering and mathimatics of computer. It is heavy into programming and engineering classes. Programmers, designers and security analysits tend to take this route.

I was told you tend to all apply for the same job in the end and that was about right. I've done system admin types of roles so most of people I have worked with were MIS, IS, CIS.

All the DB and programmers were computer science majors.

If you look at job requirements they will say computer science degree or IT related. CS gets most attention because it has been out the longest.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action