Options

Some weird scenario in wireless lab... Question to all engineers.

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,

I kind of hit the wall and don't know what just happened. I have a Xirrus XN8 Array, Cisco 3550 and 2950 and two laptops in my lab.
Here's what I have:
First, I created two SSIDs on the XN8 one for the intranet and one for guest. Configured the two SSIDs and created one vlan for intranet and another for the guest. The guest SSID is in vlan 200 and uses the internal radius on the array; the intranet vlan (vlan 100) uses the Windows 2008 R2 radius, which is located in vlan 10. The management vlan is 50, to configure the array remotely. The 3550 is functioning as the core switch and the 2950 is edge. The 3550 is also functioning as a dhcp server for each vlans.

With all this setup, everything is working according to the plan; but when I added another guest SSID, vlan, and a dhcp pool for this subnet. The laptops can wirelessly connect to the SSID and get their IP addresses, default gateway, dns from the 3550. I also double checked that by checking the ipconfig. The new guest SSID has the very same setup as the first guest SSID, but with different SSID name, vlan number (30) and network address.

Now , the weird part is, from the laptop after connecting to the new guest SSID, I can't ping its default gateway. The only two ip addresses I can ping are the loopback and the laptop's interface address. I disabled the laptop's firewall, no ACL on both switches, but no go.
I also reloaded the switches, the array and the laptops, but still getting the same results. But if I connect to the first guest SSID vlan, it works, but not on the latter one.
Also, when I connected the laptops directly to any of the switches and configured the switch interface to be part of the new guest vlan, I could ping the default gateway. At this point, I assume that there is no problem with the switches config.
So wirelessly, the laptops can get their IP addresses from the 3550, but cannot reach their gateway.

Have you guys encountered something like this before?
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold