Options

HP Procurve cli?

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
How much different it the HP interface to Cisco?

If I am (more than) comfortably with the CISCO IOS, how long would it take to pick up HP?

Cheers

Aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not that different, and it some ways it is simpler and easier. That said, it's confusing because HP actually changed how it functions substantially between some models, and some Procurves are re-branded 3COM.

Still, I have no CCNA or CCENT, and minimal switching experience, and I've had not had significant problems configuring LACP, VLANs and VLAN trunking, and port security. That said, I once configured VLANs between an Adtran and two different Procurve models, and I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a little be frustrating to use three different interfaces all at once, especially having studied on Catalysts.

To directly answer your question: Not long. Maybe a few hours, maybe even a few minutes. Edit: Also, the PDF documentation, once you find it, is pretty decent. HP has been fairly intentional about documenting the interface well and keeping it as similar to iOS, CatOS, and Adtran as possible. The differences are subtle. It's sure nothing compared to going from VBScript to PowerShell to BASH back to Windows command line.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should be able to fumble your way around it fairly quickly. The few times I've had to mess with these I didn't need any documentation to get it figured out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    How much different it the HP interface to Cisco?

If I am (more than) comfortably with the CISCO IOS, how long would it take to pick up HP?

Cheers

Aaron

The CLI is almost identical but the commands are slightly different. By different I mean simpler. You will find yourself, after configuring an HP to do the same thing as a Cisco, why in the hell it takes so many more keystrokes in a Cisco.
  • Options
    cheers guys thats what I thought.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Having done HP's Procurve fundementals course (Which was good) I can say that I found HP to be alot easier than Cisco. So should take about 5-10 mins to pick it up.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on what model Procurve you have. Some of the older ones have different commands vs the new ones. With the newer ones, the commands are only slightly different from Cisco. It's usually less commands to get the same thing done.
    We use Procurve's at my work and I have two 2524's in my home lab I got off ebay for $40 including shipping. Had some problems with them when we first implemented them, but after a firmware update they are great.
  • Options
    CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    I can confirm everyone's comments here, I work with HP switches and have just put some new 5400zl's in and they were a dream to use. A lot of the HP cli is very similar but also very simplified compared to some cisco stuff. As ptilsen said they acquired 3com a while back and so some of the newer switching line is using the 3com cli which is quite similar, got LACP and OSPF up and running on a few of them in about an hour once i got over some of the cli differences.

hope this helps
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    It's not that different, and it some ways it is simpler and easier. That said, it's confusing because HP actually changed how it functions substantially between some models, and some Procurves are re-branded 3COM.

Still, I have no CCNA or CCENT, and minimal switching experience, and I've had not had significant problems configuring LACP, VLANs and VLAN trunking, and port security. That said, I once configured VLANs between an Adtran and two different Procurve models, and I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a little be frustrating to use three different interfaces all at once, especially having studied on Catalysts.

To directly answer your question: Not long. Maybe a few hours, maybe even a few minutes. Edit: Also, the PDF documentation, once you find it, is pretty decent. HP has been fairly intentional about documenting the interface well and keeping it as similar to iOS, CatOS, and Adtran as possible. The differences are subtle. It's sure nothing compared to going from VBScript to PowerShell to BASH back to Windows command line.

Hi I don't suppose you could past some links to the documents.

I think I might get a switch of Ebay in the next few days, is comware v3 the equilivent of IOS and in the same way a standard cli across device range. SO is Comware the interface to learn ?
  • Options
    In fact does any one know any on-line rack rentals that included 3com super stack 4 equipment and procurve devices?