Why do you guys hang out in TE?

2»

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »
    "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
    Isaac Newton
    I agree with this sentiment from others. I am regularly reminded of my place and humbled by that experience.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Essendon wrote: »
    I hang around here because:

1. The motivation I get from some members on here, biggest reason.
    2. Opportunity to learn something or give back to the community.
    3. There are like-minded folks on here.
    4. TE vehemently discourages exam ****.
    5. Sometimes, there aint anything better to do!

Good thread!

That's it, right there.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of my friends have been in the industry so long they have no interest discussing it. They have great degrees and high-level positions, but no certifications and they are not interested in talking about work outside of work. So I come to here to get my dose of IT. I love going into the different forums and picking up bits and pieces of information regarding technology. It's a lot of fun.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920

Good thread!

+1 -- right on man!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I hang out here because we (IT professionals) don't have a very good network amongst ourselves to hang out and talk shop. I like to think that sites like this help bring some professionalism to the field.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    An active IT community on a forum that is not vendor sponsored or specific is hard to find.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    That's it, right there.

Yep couldn't agree more :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is going to be fun. Beautiful horses, interesting people.

And we'll win some serious coin?

Sometimes.

That's not the real reason people go there. People go because of the beautiful horses and colorful jockeys, and-- Uncle Buck

But seriously, great people and awesome topics...what more could one ask for?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why I hang out at TE:

"Fortune and Glory, Kid, Fortune and Glory" - Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    chicks dig geeks

this site increases my geek-ness

therefore the more i chill here the more chicks i get
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for all the very thoughtful and witty responses so far. I got a great sense of community from it. One of the things that I learned so far was the commitment and passion that everyone has for their area of practice. I get a real charge from it.

As I go through my mid-life crisis, I was seeking something to do. My wife said that I couldn't have have an affair and I didnt feel like training for a marathon so I thought I would restart my research lab and I stumbled on this forum when I was looking for ideas.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They told me there would be juice and pie...
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I come here a lot because the people here have always given me a pick me up or boost of confidence when I did need it during my hardships and I can't say that enough because it made a difference, and the people here are always helpful and smart. I try to be just as helpful when I can as well. I usually come here daily for any late tech news or just for some quick laughs if I can find some funny ones.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    This forum has given me a lot! I learned so much here. It didn't teach me technical stuff, but I learned a lot about how corporate world works and operate. I also met great people.

I like to help whenever I can :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TE is the perfect waste of time, without being a waste of time. There is no better way to spend the 5-10 minute chunks of downtime at work. Amazing people, amazing knowledge, and amazing support can be found here. This site is the up up down down left right B A START of the internet.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Qord wrote: »
    TE is the perfect waste of time, without being a waste of time. There is no better way to spend the 5-10 minute chunks of downtime at work. Amazing people, amazing knowledge, and amazing support can be found here. This site is the up down up down left right B A START of the internet.

Very well put!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This forum has to be one of the best, if not, the best on the internet.

TE has to be proud to have one of the largest groups of technical people out there. We have groups that specialize in all aspects in the IT world.

If anyone has a problem with their PC/laptop, you're almost guaranteed that someone on here has experienced the same problem and will be able to help you out. Have a problem with your home/business router? You bet your butt that someone can help you fix it!

Want to study and learn new technologies? We have plenty of different threads that can help you along your studies and make you more employable!

I love how if I have a problem while studying something that I can put a post on here and someone can help out within an hour of me posting.

Like others have said, it's the perfect waste of time. Have 15 minutes downtime at work? Come on here and learn something new, join in on a discussion or read something funny.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I said this before but I want/need the motivation from the younger up and coming guys.

Plus yeah all the hot females that hang out here. At least I think they are hot based on their grammar.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I said this before but I want/need the motivation from the younger up and coming guys.

Plus yeah all the hot females that hang out here. At least I think they are hot based on their grammar.

what's a 'female' ? icon_surprised.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »

Laura Croft
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□

Good thread!

Jumping on the bandwagon with this reply.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    I'm just here for the knee-slapping knock-knock jokes.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »

Try 'man female' at 'nix command prompt and let us know when it finally loads icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...