Options

Am I doing the right thing?

brad_121brad_121 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Been looking around this forum and it seems like a great resource.
Just wanted some advice...
I don't know if I should continue my revision and work to earn my MCITP. I'm spending so much time on it and it's really only one part of what I should be learning in my own time to advance my career (vmware, citrix, routers etc...)

I did an instructor led course for the three MCITP:SA exams. Cost me about $4k but it included books - MS Official Academic Course (MOAC)
I've since used these books (which include labs and theory) to do all my study. I did my revision for 70-642 and thought i was ready, but failed the exam. (score 595) The exam was a whole heap harder than I expected and the questions were just exhausting!

Understandably, it took me a few weeks to get back to study. But now i sit here wondering, am i doing the right thing?
I am working in a 3rd level/Sys admin role. There is nothing i feel like less when i get home each day or on the weekend than studying because i've been sitting in front of a computer all day and my work is always busy. (let alone the after hours work)
I feel like if i give up now, I've sort of wasted the time and money i already have spent (i say sort of because i have learnt stuff so far)
I also feel like some of the exam questions are memory based and that annoys me, but maybe i should just resign myself to that and jump through the hoops MS want me to (really, does anyone actually use MS Server backup tool?) because it's a means to an end.

Sorry for the rant.
HELP.....

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sure can be hard with all the work and family commitments to come home and study after work. Maybe you can spare an hour before you get to work? I usually awaken about 4.15am every alternative day and study for 2 hours or so before I start getting ready for work. I only do this every other day because doing it every day will rapidly drain you because you dont get enough sleep. I suggest you try getting up an hour to hour and a half in the morning.

As for the exam, you really need to supplement your study resources. I didnt spend a dime on preparing for the tests in terms of the resources. TechNet is a great resource that is free and is from Microsoft themselves. All you need is on there. But it can be a bit overwhelming because of the info on there, so I recommend you grab the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book and combine that with TechNet and some kind of video training, the CBT Nuggets are generally okay for most Microsoft server exams, especially the ones by James Conrad.

What topics are you weak on? Go to TechNet and fill in the gaps from on there. Here's the link: Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008

Good luck and welcome to the site! Stick around and you'll learn a TON of info!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    Essendon wrote: »
    It sure can be hard with all the work and family commitments to come home and study after work. Maybe you can spare an hour before you get to work? I usually awaken about 4.15am every alternative day and study for 2 hours or so before I start getting ready for work. I only do this every other day because doing it every day will rapidly drain you because you dont get enough sleep. I suggest you try getting up an hour to hour and a half in the morning.

As for the exam, you really need to supplement your study resources. I didnt spend a dime on preparing for the tests in terms of the resources. TechNet is a great resource that is free and is from Microsoft themselves. All you need is on there. But it can be a bit overwhelming because of the info on there, so I recommend you grab the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book and combine that with TechNet and some kind of video training, the CBT Nuggets are generally okay for most Microsoft server exams, especially the ones by James Conrad.

What topics are you weak on? Go to TechNet and fill in the gaps from on there. Here's the link: Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008

Good luck and welcome to the site! Stick around and you'll learn a TON of info!

+1

The trainSignal ones are not too bad either am using this for the 60-647 study at the mo.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    magwitchmagwitch Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad_121 wrote: »
    There is nothing i feel like less when i get home each day or on the weekend than studying because i've been sitting in front of a computer all day and my work is always busy.

I hear what you're saying here but... if I were 4 grand in the hole and got pretty close with a 595 (probably 7-8 questions off a pass) then I think I'd go back to it and grind out a pass.

One technique I've found very valuable for cert exams is a studying surge that peaks at the right time. For me, this is about 7-10 days before the test when I go into study overdrive reading and labbing far more than I normally would. Reading a full chapter of the SPTK whenever I take a ****, etc. I obviously couldn't maintain this forever, but if I time the surge correctly it really works for me.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    magwitch wrote: »
    Reading a full chapter of the SPTK whenever I take a ****, etc. .

icon_lol.gif ROFL that made my day............
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Thanks all for the advice.

Essendon - I like your suggestion of getting up early even though i'm not a morning person. I did it this morning (didn't manage 4.15 am tho!) and think i'll continue.

I did read in another thread that someone allocated 20hrs/week for 6 months to do the 70-640. I really hope that the cross-over between these two exams will help and I won't need that much time because i was going to allocate 3 months and i certainly don't get the chance to do 20hrs/week!

Then what's the prospects for the 70-646 exam and study? Is it relatively easy compared to the other two or alot of content to cover?
    I know the definition of 'easy' depends on a few factors like my current knowledge and how often i use the tools in my day job but how has everyone else found the 70-640 and 70-646??
  • Options
    magwitchmagwitch Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know the definition of 'easy' depends on a few factors like my current knowledge and how often i use the tools in my day job but how has everyone else found the 70-640 and 70-646??

All other things being equal I'd say 646 is the more difficult of the two due to a) format of the test and b) amount of material tested.
  • Options
    What do you mean by 'the format of the test'?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here's what happened to my quest for MCITP:EA. I put it on indefinite hold. I found VMware to be much more interesting technology. With the amount of effort I'd need to put in to complete MCITP:EA, I could get VCAP-DCA & DCD and be more in demand.

If studying for MCITP feels like torture, why put yourself through it? Buy a book on VMware, Xen or CCNA and see if any of it interest you. If it turns out you really prefer Microsoft, you can always come back to it at a later time.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's some very good advice there by dave330i. The only problem with that is shelling out the money for the VMware training. But there may be some a TAFE in your area offering the training at a lower price. Box Hill TAFE here in Melbourne offers the training for $1995, much lower than the $4200+ you pay for the same training imparted by HP/IBM/VMware themselves.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Yeah that is good advice.

In my case, i have no problem with the content. I quite like learning it and it interests me. The issue i have is finding time to do the study and the format of the exams (but as i mentioned earlier i guess that's a beef i just have to get over)

But it did give me some things to think about and realize that if i want to do extra study to advance my career (and i think i should) perhaps this is for me. I just have to tough it out and it'll make it that much sweeter when i'm finished.

I must admit, i have a new found respect for the certification now that i know what goes into it. My company is looking to hire someone in a Sys Admin type role i commented on one of the applicants having a MS cert. My boss said he doesn't hold those in high regard, it's more about whether they can do the job. I then explained to him what it takes to pass the exams...
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If time to study is your biggest problem, try to squeeze it in during work during any downtime. Research a task you need to complete using your course books. Even if its something you think you know it pretty well, reading about it can give you a deeper understanding and/or learn Microsoft's best practice. Lastly, complete a task using a different tool. Rather than doing something using the GUI, try completing it using Powershell.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Been looking around this forum and it seems like a great resource.
    Just wanted some advice...
    I don't know if I should continue my revision and work to earn my MCITP. I'm spending so much time on it and it's really only one part of what I should be learning in my own time to advance my career (vmware, citrix, routers etc...)

I did an instructor led course for the three MCITP:SA exams. Cost me about $4k but it included books - MS Official Academic Course (MOAC)
    I've since used these books (which include labs and theory) to do all my study. I did my revision for 70-642 and thought i was ready, but failed the exam. (score 595) The exam was a whole heap harder than I expected and the questions were just exhausting!

Understandably, it took me a few weeks to get back to study. But now i sit here wondering, am i doing the right thing?
    I am working in a 3rd level/Sys admin role. There is nothing i feel like less when i get home each day or on the weekend than studying because i've been sitting in front of a computer all day and my work is always busy. (let alone the after hours work)
    I feel like if i give up now, I've sort of wasted the time and money i already have spent (i say sort of because i have learnt stuff so far)
    I also feel like some of the exam questions are memory based and that annoys me, but maybe i should just resign myself to that and jump through the hoops MS want me to (really, does anyone actually use MS Server backup tool?) because it's a means to an end.

Sorry for the rant.
    HELP.....

You're doing the right thing, you just need a little guidance.

My 2 cents worth...

You need some tough, technical love.

Jumping through hoops is what life is about, so memorizing random stuff is a life necessity, get used to it.

You need to learn how you learn...it's a very good skill to have, even beyond the certification process. I see a few mistakes or let's say improvements you can make. First, it doesn't matter how much you paid, that has very little to do with gaining knowledge. Secondly, 3rd level sys admins are not some definitive job role that grants you technical aptitude and testing knowledge for that matter. I’ve always heard the right answer is the Microsoft answer (or Cisco, CompTIA, etc.)...and it’s so true. Have discipline and hit the books hard, learn what they want you to learn, just do it your way.

This is what I recommend, from a person that has taken so many tests I can't remember how many I've taken:

-First, find a good place to study besides your house. I recommend a book store like Barnes and Noble. This will tell your brain that you're in study mode and cut down on the distractions common in the household. 2-4 hour study segments should be added to your daily regimen.

-Invest in some good quizzing software. I recommend Transcender (link). Testing software will present you with testing scenarios very similar to the ones on the actual exams (some people say Transcender is harder). Learn the reasoning behind each correct and incorrect answer, and you’ll be golden.

-Hang out on www.techexams.net, especially in this area: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42947-70-642-resources.html. This will help you acquire some insight into what the exam is about and perhaps learn from other people’s experiences.

-If you’re too tired after work to study, I recommend coffee. If coffee keeps you awake or doesn’t work, then there are plenty of other brain boosting drugs, like nootropics, that may be of use to you. Check out my page on them and memory techniques you can use to boost cognitive function: Archives.

-And one last very important step, build a lab. Even though I know you work on servers all day, there will be a ton of new tasks and server admin processes you will need to demonstrate on your own terms, and learn in your own way. Things you can’t do on work machines.

You cannot fail if you implement the above advice. I wouldn’t run away from Microsoft testing, I would take the bull by the horns (so to speak), and conquer the exam, and then move on to the next one.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies, and when you take your next test…you WILL pass.

Eddie Jackson (MrNetTek)
    Eddie Jackson - Professional Profile
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I find getting to work up to an hour early every days helps.

I do about 20 Transcender questions and / or some reading.

I have found this approach works for me as I'm better in the mornings and helps exam success.

Studying after work takes some doing and needs commitment.
  • Options
    MrNetTekMrNetTek Member Posts: 100 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find getting to work up to an hour early every days helps.

I do about 20 Transcender questions and / or some reading.

I have found this approach works for me as I'm better in the mornings and helps exam success.

Studying after work takes some doing and needs commitment.

Totally agree.

Eddie Jackson (MrNetTek)
    Eddie Jackson - Professional Profile
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the advice.

I'm going to push through it. Been doing lots of labs and using the practice questions i do have.

I have two sets of books. the MOAC ones which are of average quality, the labs have plenty of mistakes in them and the theory parts miss a decent amount of whats in the exam.
    The other books are the Microsoft Self paced training kit. These seem a lot better.

Also, i'm finding it good to check out the exams objectives (or 'skills measured') and just thoroughly lab through that.