Studying for 70-640. So many resources, so little time.

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for 70-640 and I have a lot of resources available. Which of these do you think is the most beneficial and should get the most of my focus?

Testout (Labsim)
MSPress Self Paced book (R2)
Sever 2008 Unleased R2
CBT Nuggets
uCertify
Technet

Im not sure if the Testout labs are sufficient so I am focusing my labs on the ones in the MSPress book.

For practice tests I have Testout, MeasureUp and uCertify. It's been a while since my last MS exam but I recall MeasureUp being very similar to the actual tests. I used uCertify for Project+ and found it was rather hit or miss. I'm not sure how good it is for MS exams.

My goal is to book the exam at the end of the month. I am about 60% complete with the Testout videos and demos.

Any suggestions for maximizing my study focus?

Thanks!
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I am currently studying for 70-640 and I have a lot of resources available. Which of these do you think is the most beneficial and should get the most of my focus?

Testout (Labsim)
    MSPress Self Paced book (R2)
    Sever 2008 Unleased R2
    CBT Nuggets
    uCertify
    Technet

Im not sure if the Testout labs are sufficient so I am focusing my labs on the ones in the MSPress book.

For practice tests I have Testout, MeasureUp and uCertify. It's been a while since my last MS exam but I recall MeasureUp being very similar to the actual tests. I used uCertify for Project+ and found it was rather hit or miss. I'm not sure how good it is for MS exams.

My goal is to book the exam at the end of the month. I am about 60% complete with the Testout videos and demos.

Any suggestions for maximizing my study focus?

Thanks!

TestOut, MS Press, and Technet. I've only used CBT nuggets for one exam, the 291, so can't speak for the 640. uCertify sucks for the Microsoft exams. You might use the Unleashed to get a different perspective. I printed out all the LabSim notes and read through those a few times each week. TestOut labs are hit and miss for me. they skip over some of the harder parts, I thought. The MS book labs are pretty good.
  • CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Self Test for the 640, I would recommend.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MS Press should be your primary guide. The book is structured around the actual exam and generally covers 80-95% of what you need to know between the labs and text.

Technet should be your secondary study source as it will cover the gaps and goes into further detail if the book is not clear enough. Unleashed is a third source, but won't necessarily add anything over Technet -- it's just a different way of presenting the material.

Finally, you should absolutely use a set of practice questions. I had good luck with Transcender for 648, but I'm sure whatever WGU has provided you is just fine.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took a break from Labsim and got caught back up with MSPress book and labs. I have also been watching the CBT Nuggests videos that go with each chapter. Unfortunately, I have been studying so much that Active Directory is now haunting my dreams. All of my dreams last night had something to do with it. I seem to recall wanting to travel to another country but having to add the country to my domain first before I could, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013