When Will People Start to Think?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I worked on an issue for one of our users, spent two hours troubleshooting and ultimately determined it would be better to just setup him up on a new machine. In total it was about 4 hours worth of work between imaging and restoring his data to the new machine. Friday was his first full day with the new machine and everything was going great. Fast forward to this morning and a request gets put in by his manager to set him up with a laptop. Now this is due to a promotion and obviously this was something they knew was coming, but gave us no heads up about. I'll concede the point that his manager did not know we just replaced his machine, but had she clued us in to the promotion and the needing of a laptop I could have done all of that on Thursday and he would have had it on Friday. Hate having to repeat work when it isn't a technical issue, but a lack of consideration by the paper pushers. Sorry had to blow off some steam!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• dustinmurphydustinmurphy Member Posts: 170
    Yeah, I used to get that ALL the time... thankfully at the company I was working for... they were mostly using a terminal server... so a desktop change out was fairly quick.... but it would make me so mad when someone would pull that crap.
  • J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to my world icon_sad.gif. I waste so much time undoing what I have already done sometimes, it's beyond annoying. I love it when people want a "rush" put on something for a new user, only to have the new user not even start with the company or be fired in a few days. It just more motivation for me to finish my last class and take my CCNA and move on!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Job security I guess lol.

I hate bringing up my story because its pretty horrible in my opinion but when I worked for the City if an employee needed a new PC they would request one.

Now you ready for this?

The manager would order the new machine, I would get it ready and the first time this happened I sat there with my mouth hanging open but the manager would tell me "oh the new machine is for me, reload my old one and give it to the person who needed it".

I was new and did it my first time but felt freaking awful as hell doing it because the managers always got the better machines so the "old" machine was decent enough but still wtf???

So I had to image the old one, image the managers, swap out the managers with the new one. reconfigure and restore the managers, and THEN setup and restore the old machine for the employee who needed a machine.

I was told by the other tech "it was always done this way". So I told the City Manager that sorry yeah I am new but doesn't that reek of a sense of royality to you?? He agreed and sent an email to managers to stop the practice.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I try not to let stuff like this get to me. It does happen a lot, but I figure I'm getting paid the same regardless.
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Makes me glad that I focus strictly on design now as opposed to my old helpdesk and desktop support days.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I try not to let stuff like this get to me. It does happen a lot, but I figure I'm getting paid the same regardless.

Exactly. It's job security.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Boss: "We need to image (going to untested programs) 100 computers by Monday."
    Me: "It's friday"
    Boss: "Yep"
    Me: "... !@#$"
    Boss: "Consider it as overtime."
    Me: "Yay!"

Overtime makes the pain go away, until you spend 48 hours imaging and testing to make sure everything is Okay and good to go by the next day.

Boy that was a nice pay check.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No OT for that one icon_sad.gif To me it is really a psychological issue as it feels like you're being told what you did was wrong. Now, I did image the machine properly and obviously that isn't what they are saying, but doing any job "twice" makes me feel like I did it wrong.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Speaking of overtime, they're calling for us to do mandatory overtime tomorrow giving us notice of this requirement near the end of the day today on our helpdesk... Talk about really short notice. I was supposed to be off tomorrow but they're making me work a 10 hour shift, all overtime. The paycheck will be pretty nice however!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Speaking of overtime, they're calling for us to do mandatory overtime tomorrow giving us notice of this requirement near the end of the day today on our helpdesk... Talk about really short notice. I was supposed to be off tomorrow but they're making me work a 10 hour shift, all overtime. The paycheck will be pretty nice however!

Make sure you have that documented in some form that you are being told by your employer to work overtime. Where you are working, it's not uncommon for them to say it to your face and not back it up with a paycheck after all is said and done. Trust me on that.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh I've got several emails from yesterday showing that they are telling us it's a requirement. Some of the OT wont mitigate the call volume as the majority of it was added to the beginning of peoples work shifts, when it's always super slow.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Exactly. It's job security.
    I guess that is true. But I'm no fan of security by stupidity. icon_wink.gif