Options

Hard drive got full...

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
My C: had 20gb free, then suddenly none.

I installed VM software on D:, which is the only thing I have installed today. How can I find out what the mystery data is?

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Did you recently create a virual machine? SQL trans logs? 20GB is a lot to fill up unknowingly.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stop downloading po4n! Just joking.

Right click on your documents to see if it's in there (look at the size of the folder). Check virtual machines like Tackle said. Look at your desktop folder and such.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Kai123 wrote: »
    My C: had 20gb free, then suddenly none.

I installed VM software on D:, which is the only thing I have installed today. How can I find out what the mystery data is?

Kai.

There are free utilities that measure disk space and consumption that will do exactly what you want. Plow through Google to find some and then download them from majorgeeks.com or just go over there and poke around to find what suits you.
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would use WinDirStat. You can run it from a flash drive (there's an installable version if you prefer) to analyze your disk usage.

The Portable Freeware Collection - WinDirStat
  • Options
    I did create a VM, but removed it via the VMware CP. I guess its floating around somewhere.

I need a good disk usage program, thanks for the recommendation Geronimo.

Just want to say, I am running Fedora via Oracle VM. My first time using a Linux operating system and im fairly excited :) I can definately see the appeal.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is probably the best forum on the whole damn internet ;)

Kai.
  • Options
    GeronimoGeronimo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess I should have asked: What OS are you running?
  • Options
    Windows 7 Home Premium.

That piece of software is godly. Thank you so much Geronimo.

It just finished scanning, and DAMN! That is one crazy UI :D

Kai.

EDIT: I found what made my C drive explode. That software had Virtual Hard Disk listed in the top right. It took me to the VM dir and the rest is history.

EDIT#2: I can keep on going. I found 2 13gb files that I never used, which got moved over by a media converter software on my partition. I cant thank you enough Geronimo. I have my PC back!
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    I did create a VM, but removed it via the VMware CP. I guess its floating around somewhere.

I need a good disk usage program, thanks for the recommendation Geronimo.

Just want to say, I am running Fedora via Oracle VM. My first time using a Linux operating system and im fairly excited :) I can definately see the appeal.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is probably the best forum on the whole damn internet ;)

Kai.

In vmware you have to remove from disk to delete the virtual disk file. Remove from inventory only removes it from vmware CP, the files remain on the hard drive.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Geronimo wrote: »
    I would use WinDirStat. You can run it from a flash drive (there's an installable version if you prefer) to analyze your disk usage.

I love this bit of software, have used it for years and for checking users PC for what taking up space nothing beats it. You can also scan network shares with it to, all running from a pen drive :), and of course set custom colour themes to highlight what you need.

windirstat.jpg
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    check out your event log
  • Options
    Event log was messy, that WinDirStat is godly. If I find myself without it I should learn how to use event log effectively.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Geronimo wrote: »

Love this program. +1
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'll have to check that one out. The one I've ran to is spacemonger.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013